Locking Diff Retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trynian

Reaction score
Well, since I have had little to do recently on my LR3 I started to look around for a few parts to retrofit the locking diff. I used a guide from a fellow in the UK that did the upgrade.

Overall the process is not that hard. Just sourcing the wire pieces needed is the real trick without buying new complete looms from LR.

The diff was installed without being hooked up so it is operating as a normal open diff as we speak.

I spent last weekend running the wire sections I have accumulated the past few months and my diff control module just arrived today.

All that is left is to plug it in tonight and turn on the function with my faultmate and all should operate.

I will let you know how it goes....

Here are the few picks my buddy took while running the wires.

http://landroving.shutterfly.com/1433

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet Jesus, its the holy grail!

Where did you find the diff?

Trynian

Reaction score
Sweet Jesus, its the holy grail!

Where did you find the diff?

Well as it turned out my diff went out. so I just paid a little extra for a complete rebuilt one and Eddie put it in.

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats awesome. how did you go about tracking down loom pieces?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hilarious, I saw the subject line and was ready to see all the "nope, never gonna happen" replies. Like Nathan says, this is really something!
Do you mind letting us know what all this will end up costing? Very curious to see how everything works out.

Trynian

Reaction score
Just patience and calling around. To buy both complete looms needed new is about $2500. It took about 8 months looking off and on, but I eventually found 2 new ones being sold at a substantial discount for being on the parts shelves to long. I spent about 30% of the new price on them. Got lots of extra wire and plugs though for future repairs lol.

A complete rebuilt diff will run you about $2000 give or take not counting labor to have it installed. Mine that went out was covered under the extended warranty so I just had to pony up the difference for the parts.

tomasesto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well as it turned out my diff went out. so I just paid a little extra for a complete rebuilt one and Eddie put it in.
Trynian, locking dif project sounds a GO!, curious was there a way you saw to be able to turn the function ON manually or is Auto the only way PERIOD. So far my only traction upgrade was to get better more aggro tires but judging from the obstacles Ive witnessed you overcome on Forteras... man that alone redefined the meaning of finesse driving and line selection for me. Cant wait to see whats next..

Last edited:

Trynian

Reaction score
Well, sitting here in the garage and after plugging in the diff control module. Then turning the function on and clearing the faults. All seems to be working with no issues. Right now I am letting the vehicle go to sleep before I start her up and start checking for function and any faults.

I have to rig up a mounting bracket for the module as you can imagine it is not a regularly ordered part and is on back order from LR. It is only $16 new so I figure I would probably spend as much time hunting one down as waiting for a back order.

About 5 more minutes for the real testing to begin....

Trynian

Reaction score
Trynian, locking dif project sounds a GO!, curious was there a way you saw to be able to turn the function ON manually or is Auto the only way PERIOD. So far my only traction upgrade was to get better more aggro tires but judging from the obstacles Ive witnessed you overcome on Forteras... man that alone redefined the meaning of finesse driving and line selection for me. Cant wait to see whats next..

Tomas, since I had a spare locking motor I picked up for nothing with a broken mounting I have been able to run some tests on the motror function. It is a little more complicated than just on or off. The motor has a break built into it to lock it at verious points for what looks like it may be variable on the locking. So my first thought was the motor engages the clutch and then the the break holds it in lock position until released.

So it can be activated and a possible solution could be developed. Now that I have the module up and runing my first tests show the motor brake seems to be engaged all the time unless released to changed amount of locking torque put on the differential clutch. I did read in the description of the locking diff in the repair manual some description of variable toqrue applied as needed by the control module, but it was vague at best.

The system seems to be operating normal, but I have not been out on any conditions yet this late in the evening. So far the system seems to be quite sensitive and any voltage tests I try to do on the power to the locking motor invoke a low voltage fault in the system. My testor may be drawing to much amperage from the motor power.

My thought was to see how much power was going to the motor when it powered up to see if it just turned on full power or if it just added some power as needed. I am guessing the later at the moment.

While I now have the full auto system operating my goal eventually is to try and discover if it can be operated manually to give an option to those who do not want to spend the time to hunt down the wiring needed.

We shall see but at any rate things seem to be functioning as they should be.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99