Looking at an 06 LR3, help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an 05 LR3 that i've had for 6 years now and have put about 85k miles on it. it has been a great truck, but it is somewhat "temperamental." we also have an '03 D2, which we are selling as we have a new 2012 wrangler on order. with the new engine/interior the wrangler is much more livable on a daily basis than it used to be. personally, i would consider the new wrangler rather than a used LR3. the new interior is just as nice if not nicer than the LR3's. it has the same HP now and slightly better MPG. it doesn't need premium gas. it also has a warranty. there is also an incredible aftermarket part selection for the jeep compared to almost nothing for the LR3. on another note, the LR3's air suspension is super comfy, but can be unreliable. either way, they are both fun trucks. they just serve a bit different purposes.

x2. I think you'd be well served by either.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an '05 with 84,600 miles on it. I am the second owner. Although I have only put about 8k miles on it I have had no major issues. I have only changed out the t-stat.

AZ LR3

Reaction score
You should definitely go look at the V6, especially if you were leaning in that direction. The Ford Cologne V6 is an incredibly good engine, simple 12 valve SOHC, German engineering, proven over many years and models, very long lasting and much less expensive to repair. The V8 is the polor opposite - a complicated 32 valve, not so proven, and very expensive to repair. LR3 engine problem threads are invariably the V8 (in the U.S. that is), which is fine in warranty but not so good thereafter.

People on the internet who tell you they know which engine you want (the one they have) with no knowledge of you or your needs are not to be trusted. You should get out and drive both and decide for yourself.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, is AZ LR3 the one selling you his v6 LR3? That was the biggest support of the Ford V6 I have evern seen in more than a decade around the V8 engine in the LR3. His take is quite the opposite of what is generally accecpted about the V8 and V6 in the industry, and in some cases flat out incorrect.

The LR3 uses the Jaguar V8 (AJ -V8) and is highly respected and touted in the industry. It is proven with over 15 years of use. It is generally thought of as being a quality piece with little problem. It is not only used in Land Rover vehicles but also Aston Martin and Jaguar. There are have been shockingly little forum discussions on engine problems.

Bottom-line: The V8 is a great engine and the auto industry, the auto press, and actual owners all pretty much agree. Whomever says to stay away from it, clearly doesn't know what they are talking about, or have some sort of interest in the V6.

hhalimi

Reaction score
I might have found a good LR3

The V6 LR3 for 14000 was a beaten up car with multiple scratches and dents, missing trim peaces sounded as if it had an exhaust leak and few other things (BTW this one was descibed to me as being in excellent condition)
Just by luck just 20miles away from this one was another V6 with leather and sunroofs, which was very clean and excellent condition in & out except for under body rust on frame rear diff ect.( My old discovery had much more rust and I don't know how quickly this will get bad) This one still has a ford ESP warranty for another 5k miles or until august 2012 what ever comes first with only $100 deductible. The guy was extremely nice and honest, he called ford and give them the Vin number they said warranty can be transferred for 75$ fee. No leaks that I could see, no engine or diff noise, parking brake was working fine and the car had new front control arms, ball joints, brake pads/rotors and newish tires. No warning lights and all electrical components were working. I was not able to raise the suspension, initially door open messsage displayed and than there apear to have been a lock, which I was not able to undo and he did not know how those knobs were working either but said there hasn't been any suspension problems. I asume that this will be covered by warranty any way. I thought it had adaquate power though I did not take it on the freeway. Price is 16.5k. I think it is a good deal. I will appreciate any comments/pros/cons. I live in MI, car had IL license plate, He said this is his daughter's car and that sounded true to me. The car did have books service records and he has the title on hand.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To undo the lock, just hold the switch back toward the console for 30 seconds, it will unlock then allow to raise.

I wouldn't worry much about the rust, it's probably just surface rust. Just sand/paint...

AZ LR3

Reaction score
Hey, is AZ LR3 the one selling you his v6 LR3? That was the biggest support of the Ford V6 I have evern seen in more than a decade around the V8 engine in the LR3. His take is quite the opposite of what is generally accecpted about the V8 and V6 in the industry, and in some cases flat out incorrect.

The LR3 uses the Jaguar V8 (AJ -V8) and is highly respected and touted in the industry. It is proven with over 15 years of use. It is generally thought of as being a quality piece with little problem. It is not only used in Land Rover vehicles but also Aston Martin and Jaguar. There are have been shockingly little forum discussions on engine problems.

Bottom-line: The V8 is a great engine and the auto industry, the auto press, and actual owners all pretty much agree. Whomever says to stay away from it, clearly doesn't know what they are talking about, or have some sort of interest in the V6.

Seems like I touched a raw nerve. Insecure maybe? A more careful reading will reveal that I was not "selling" either but trying both. "Highly respected and touted"? By who? Sophisticated maybe, but not durable or practical for repairs. My perception, as anectdotal as yours, is just the opposite - a frail and troubled engine, and very expensive to repair. 4 cams, 32 valves, six foot long timing chain may be nice for a while but is just a killer for repairs in every application.

Here's just a sampling of LR V8 problems, from a short search:
http://www.*******************/forums/f41/05-loud-engine-noise-26046/
http://www.*******************/forums/f41/clanking-sound-when-starting-52200/
http://www.*******************/forums/f41/06-lr3-acceleration-hesitation-problems-45407/
http://landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21827

I can't find such things for the V6, seriously, help me, they must exist but I can't find them. You only get 15 minutes - that's all I took and I didn't even list all that I found.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably not gonna find much on the v6 because their simply are not as many of them out there. Your first three links are blocked and the last link states nothing of "engine" problems rather a rough run concern on a higher mileage engine that needs normal maintenance. Those maintenance items covered the induction/ignition system not a problem with the engine itself. I haven't yet heard of one engine failure and only one engine that needed new head gaskets at 105k! I have 70k trouble free miles on mine and the only part changed is a tstat. I have had my other fair share of issues however the drivetrain has been rock solid. Take it how you will. Either engine is likely an excellent choice. I decided on the v8 simply due to the extra power and similar fuel economy numbers...

Trynian

Reaction score

The usual V8 is better based on nothing but 8 must be better because 8 > 6. BTW the LR3 has not been around for a decade.

Talk to any service manager, the Ford Cologne V6 has a better service record; it was built in Germany for many European cars and has been run much longer and in more cars including Jags then the Jag V8.

There is only an 82 HP difference in the engines and the V8 weighs roughly 200 pounds more. That equates to about a 60 HP gain. The V8 is better on the top end speed but the V6 has better low end torque.

The jag V8 is a great engine, and coming from one that has both, all I can say is that the 8 has cost me more in repairs then the 6. Actually the 6 has had no engine repairs going on 72k miles. The 8 does however feel smoother in general, but that is the case with most similar sizes 8 v 6 engines.

I drive both regularly and to be honest the only difference I can find is the tranny shifts differently and the 6 does not have quite the passing pickup that the 8 does on the freeway.

Drive both and I am sure you will find that there is not that much difference overall.

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's be honest here, either engine is probably the last thing you'll have to worry about with the LR3. I would not make the engine the ultimate deciding point for your choice. My only experience with the V6 was as a loaner a few years ago and, while I'm not a spirited driver, it didn't feel sluggish at all. Plenty of pep (for me) mostly around town. I got the V8, because they are more common (more choices in the used market) and I thought there would probably be better resale. But since I plan on running it into the ground, the resale probably won't make much difference. Plus, V8s are just more macho, lol.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9