Looking at an 06 LR3, help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manbehindbeard

Reaction score
I wanted the 3rd row and you can't find that in the V6. The dealer spoke really honest with me about both engines and said nothing negative about the 6--everybody's right, you're going to have more trouble with differentials and airbags before the engine goes out. The bigger question is still from the beginning of the thread, what exactly do you want the truck for and do you think the LR3 is the right fit?

Trynian

Reaction score
I wanted the 3rd row and you can't find that in the V6. The dealer spoke really honest with me about both engines and said nothing negative about the 6--everybody's right, you're going to have more trouble with differentials and airbags before the engine goes out. The bigger question is still from the beginning of the thread, what exactly do you want the truck for and do you think the LR3 is the right fit?

Thats funny lol! The day we bought the our 06 V6 it was the only one on the lot that had the third row. And I agree both are good engines.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Facts are facts. The AJ-V8 has been around for more than a decade. It came out in the mid 90's. It has won awards and is generaly acknowledged as being a troublefree piece. It is the one thing that almost everyone doesn't have to worry about in the LR3.

Many people that read these forums depend on them for guidance. It is not right when incorrect things are posted by a lack of knowledge. Just because the V8 is a DOHC design, um, what isn't these days. . .doesn't mean it is prone to failure. Just because it has 32 valves doesn't have a single thing to do with its realiability. And what was said about the timing chain, I just had to laugh. Ah, actually the timing chain in this engine is actually regarded as a strong point, not a weak one as you say cause ah, "its long. . ." It is a chain and not a belt. This is a good thing about the engine not a bad thing.

The engine has won awards and is generally accepted in the auto industry as a troublefree piece and an asset. Being active in this forum since it started, and having one of the first LR3's since 2005. . . I can't remember any engine problem related posts at all. Fact is, the V8 has not been a source of trouble for the LR3.

(By the way, if you are afraid of somethign because it is more technologically advanced, why in the world would that person buy an LR3 in the first place? Forget the engine, it is all the other technology in the LR3 that should be causing fits. Wouldn't that person be better served with an old Jeep Commander?)

Last edited:

Trynian

Reaction score
Facts are facts. The AJ-V8 has been around for more than a decade. It came out in the mid 90's. It has won awards and is generaly acknowledged as being a troublefree piece. It is the one thing that almost everyone doesn't have to worry about in the LR3.

Many people that read these forums depend on them for guidance. It is not right when incorrect things are posted by a lack of knowledge. Just because the V8 is a DOHC design, um, what isn't these days. . .doesn't mean it is prone to failure. Just because it has 32 valves doesn't have a single thing to do with its realiability. And what was said about the timing chain, I just had to laugh. Ah, actually the timing chain in this engine is actually regarded as a strong point, not a weak one as you say cause ah, "its long. . ." It is a chain and not a belt. This is a good thing about the engine not a bad thing.

The engine has won awards and is generally accepted in the auto industry as a troublefree piece and an asset. Being active in this forum since it started, and having one of the first LR3's since 2005. . . I can't remember any engine problem related posts at all. Fact is, the V8 has not been a source of trouble for the LR3.

(By the way, if you are afraid of somethign because it is more technologically advanced, why in the world would that person buy an LR3 in the first place? Forget the engine, it is all the other technology in the LR3 that should be causing fits. Wouldn't that person be better served with an old Jeep Commander?)

Pretty much you completely missed the point... No one has passed on incorrect information accept you regarding the Cologne V-6. You seem to be the only one worried about the reputation of the AJ-V8.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how funny, If you read my posts I have not said a single thing about the V6. Not a single thing about the V6. I mearly corrected posts about how scary the V8 is since it has all the new tangled stuff like DOHC, 32 valves, etc. Come on. . . My only point has been that the V8 is well regarded in real life notching awards and recognition as a good engine. Thus to offset the posts that somehow erroneously malign the engine simply because it has 32 valves and is DOHC. . . .like just about every engine made today. . .

Trynian

Reaction score
how funny, If you read my posts I have not said a single thing about the V6. Not a single thing about the V6. I mearly corrected posts about how scary the V8 is since it has all the new tangled stuff like DOHC, 32 valves, etc. Come on. . . My only point has been that the V8 is well regarded in real life notching awards and recognition as a good engine. Thus to offset the posts that somehow erroneously malign the engine simply because it has 32 valves and is DOHC. . . .like just about every engine made today. . .

Again you missed the point, The cologne V-6 has been around about 30 years longer, so if you really want to compare longevity and reliablilty feel free. No one said the V8 is bad but really it does not have the track record of the Cologne. Trust me I love em both.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At times I feel like my LR3's V8 is underpowered I can't imagine what a V6 would be like. The 5.0 V8 that the LR4 has is what should have been put in the LR3 to begin with (my opinion). I have been a member of this forum and one other for I believe 4 years. In that time I've seen 2 threads related to engine problems - V8 or V6. I've also never heard anything but positive reviews in general about the V8 that's in the LR3. Good luck with your purchase, the engines so long as they've been serviced correctly should be the least of your worries.

Trynian

Reaction score
At times I feel like my LR3's V8 is underpowered I can't imagine what a V6 would be like. The 5.0 V8 that the LR4 has is what should have been put in the LR3 to begin with (my opinion). I have been a member of this forum and one other for I believe 4 years. In that time I've seen 2 threads related to engine problems - V8 or V6. I've also never heard anything but positive reviews in general about the V8 that's in the LR3. Good luck with your purchase, the engines so long as they've been serviced correctly should be the least of your worries.

Totally agree, I really like that new engine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99