Looking to buy either of these 2. Help me decide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Richard,

here is another option, open up your search. Here is one across the country with low miles, CPO Warranty and from a Land Rover dealer. I'd estimate a $1000 shipping cost of open truck. You might be able to get this at a better price and they'll probably ship it for you.

Before I found the 2015 LUX in LA, we were going to buy a lux in West Virginia and have it shipped.

Here is the link,

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...us=0&minPrice=24000&listingId=423597908&Log=0

richardhdz

Reaction score
Richard,

here is another option, open up your search. Here is one across the country with low miles, CPO Warranty and from a Land Rover dealer. I'd estimate a $1000 shipping cost of open truck. You might be able to get this at a better price and they'll probably ship it for you.

Before I found the 2015 LUX in LA, we were going to buy a lux in West Virginia and have it shipped.

Here is the link,

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...us=0&minPrice=24000&listingId=423597908&Log=0

I went to land rover mission Viejo to test drive the one for 37k 51k miles, they low ball me with my trade in. Kbb appraises it on 22k to 23.5, they offered me 17,b and their last offer w 19k. I walked away. I told them id for for 38 of they took my trade for 23.5.

I have gotten kbb trade in values for other trade in value in the past, am I being naive??

That one is a very good deal, but I would need to sell my odyssey first.

My plan for tomorrow is to call Lexus for the one you found me on the morning, will offer to pay their sticker if they take my trade at kbb value.

On another note, after leaving the dealer I went to test drive the private party one with the now 86k miles, I drove it and is super clean in n out, the bad: the steering wheel is not straight. Its about 3-4 degrees to the left, I assume that can be fixed with an alignment, the other thing I noticed, and don't know if its normal, when I raised suspension to the higher level, I could hear the noise of what I assume is the air compressor. My expectation is that it should stop working after the car is raised. It didn't it kept going for as long as I had the suspension raised, I lowered it. It stopped.
I truly really liked how this one drives and for the price... Wow.. I'm sure I can bring it down at least another thousand.
What do you think? Also is it easy to buy whit out being present and getting it shipped? Am I only supposed to get the pink slip and pay transfer and tax at the dmv?

Sorry for all these many questions.

Thank you for your advise David!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Richard,

here is another option, open up your search.

Great advice. For me, half the fun of car shopping is creating my short list by locating vehicles regardless of location. The other half of the fun is a nice road trip to pick up a vehicle. I have never used a shipping service because the distances involved so far have been manageable, but it's another option when needed.

FWIW, I bought my pre-owned (non CPO) 2011 LR4 HSE in 2014. It had 30K miles and I paid $38K. At the time it was a decent deal compared to comparables here in the DC market. Pricing seems to be holding pretty well based on the vehicles/mileages being discussed here.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Robert,

Coincidentally, I sold my wife's 2010 Odyssey and bought her the 2015 Lux. Fro reference, that was 4 months ago, it was an EXL Res (nav and RSE) with 40k miles. I rarely trade. I sold this private party on Craig's list for $19,400 but did so after I bought the LR4.

KBB trade in with dealer's is difficult unless it is 1) an in demand vehicle and 2) in great condition as the dealer doesn't want to do a recon. If it is something they can sell on their lot, you have a better chance of getting a good price, otherwise, it's going to wholesale.
My recommendation is to sell private party if at all possible.

As for the LR4 with the misaligned steering wheel, this is a huge red flag for me personally as this is something that just doesn't happen on its own. So, something was replaced or fixed on the rig and whomever did it probably didn't know what they were doing. Just my opinion. If you gut tells you something's not right, follow your gut always. I trust my gut all the time when something seems off.

Two of the last three cars I bought were over 1000 miles away, one in Austin texas (my porsche) and the LR4 in LA. I fly in and drove both back making mini vacations out of the trip back. Both were sight unseen, but the porsche was brand new. Both were from new car dealerships. I would suggest, if you go that route, find one at a Land Rover dealership with a CPO. It's super easy to do and because you are doing everything email for the most part, you get to be a hardball negotiator without being face to face.

The key when buying is to be able to say "no thanks" and "if you change your mind, give me a call". If you do that with enough rigs that fall into your matrix, you'll nap one you like at a great price. I looked for several months, made numerous offers before I landed one for my wife. I ended up with a fully loaded 2015 Lux with 7k miles for $56800, The KBB retail on it was $63k and the MSRP was $70k. I was willing to wait and negotiate hard and travel to LA to pick it up.

The one at the Lexus dealerships is a great deal if you compare every other pre owned LR4 out there.

Good luck.

richardhdz

Reaction score
Robert,

Coincidentally, I sold my wife's 2010 Odyssey and bought her the 2015 Lux. Fro reference, that was 4 months ago, it was an EXL Res (nav and RSE) with 40k miles. I rarely trade. I sold this private party on Craig's list for $19,400 but did so after I bought the LR4.

KBB trade in with dealer's is difficult unless it is 1) an in demand vehicle and 2) in great condition as the dealer doesn't want to do a recon. If it is something they can sell on their lot, you have a better chance of getting a good price, otherwise, it's going to wholesale.
My recommendation is to sell private party if at all possible.

As for the LR4 with the misaligned steering wheel, this is a huge red flag for me personally as this is something that just doesn't happen on its own. So, something was replaced or fixed on the rig and whomever did it probably didn't know what they were doing. Just my opinion. If you gut tells you something's not right, follow your gut always. I trust my gut all the time when something seems off.

Two of the last three cars I bought were over 1000 miles away, one in Austin texas (my porsche) and the LR4 in LA. I fly in and drove both back making mini vacations out of the trip back. Both were sight unseen, but the porsche was brand new. Both were from new car dealerships. I would suggest, if you go that route, find one at a Land Rover dealership with a CPO. It's super easy to do and because you are doing everything email for the most part, you get to be a hardball negotiator without being face to face.

The key when buying is to be able to say "no thanks" and "if you change your mind, give me a call". If you do that with enough rigs that fall into your matrix, you'll nap one you like at a great price. I looked for several months, made numerous offers before I landed one for my wife. I ended up with a fully loaded 2015 Lux with 7k miles for $56800, The KBB retail on it was $63k and the MSRP was $70k. I was willing to wait and negotiate hard and travel to LA to pick it up.

The one at the Lexus dealerships is a great deal if you compare every other pre owned LR4 out there.

Good luck.

Thank you David, will try the one in Glendale today, I might have to sell the odyssey on my own for a better deal. Will let you know if the outcome[emoji106]

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, good deals are to be found by buying vehicles that were traded in with low-ball pricing, just like you rejected on your Odyssey! There is always someone out there getting hosed, either because they do not know or they just don't care.

richardhdz

Reaction score
Richard,

how's your search going

David,. Went to Glendale with all intentions to pick the lux you kindly found for me, they fair valuating my trade in. (12. Odyssey exl 35k. $21,350,)however when I test drove it, if I stepped quickly on brake pedal, front left brake would make a very loud thud (for lack of better explanation). Didnt like it at all. read the mechanics report and noticed that brake pads were very thin 3-4mm all around, hence the provable long travel of pads to reach discs, also, 1 of the key fobs didn't have the chrome blade key, and last, at least 2 tires needed to be replaced. Also what really throw me off was on one of the phone calls salesman made to manager, he asked him to let me know that they had just made a very expensive repair on the sunroof, about 1800, that was a really tall red flag for me, so, ended up asking him to drop the price 2k to cover for the brakes job, key fob and 2 tires but they wouldn't do it.

This was my fourth lr4 that couldn't agree on price or was good enough to convince men to buy it.bI decided to put this purchase at rest at this moment.. not really in a hurry. Nevertheless I will keep looking for the right one to come... I'm also considering a lr3 and keeping the van given that soon we will need a 3rd vehicle for nanny to take our triplets to pre school...

Thank you David, will keep you posted.

richardhdz

Reaction score
David,. Went to Glendale with all intentions to pick the lux you kindly found for me, they fair valuating my trade in. (12. Odyssey exl 35k. $21,350,)however when I test drove it, if I stepped quickly on brake pedal, front left brake would make a very loud thud (for lack of better explanation). Didnt like it at all. read the mechanics report and noticed that brake pads were very thin 3-4mm all around, hence the provable long travel of pads to reach discs, also, 1 of the key fobs didn't have the chrome blade key, and last, at least 2 tires needed to be replaced. Also what really throw me off was on one of the phone calls salesman made to manager, he asked him to let me know that they had just made a very expensive repair on the sunroof, about 1800, that was a really tall red flag for me, so, ended up asking him to drop the price 2k to cover for the brakes job, key fob and 2 tires but they wouldn't do it.

This was my fourth lr4 that couldn't agree on price or was good enough to convince men to buy it.bI decided to put this purchase at rest at this moment.. not really in a hurry. Nevertheless I will keep looking for the right one to come... I'm also considering a lr3 and keeping the van given that soon we will need a 3rd vehicle for nanny to take our triplets to pre school...

Thank you David, will keep you posted.

Hi David, quick note to thank you and let you know that I finally got the lr4, the one you found me on Glendale, I went back and pick it it up for 37k. Not bad for a hse lux with 33k miles... Now I have to debate of wasn't to buy extended warranty Ron land rover for 3700dlls.

Thank again. More pictures later
cad666d98bd33efcba8324fc0b68ff97.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo