Loosening lug nuts on Disco 1!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't get the wheels off my Disco 1. I was going to try changing the rear shocks today until I realized the tire iron that came with my rover, simply seems not to fit over those plastic lug nut cover things. Do those lug nut covers come off? I assume they don't but the socket does not want to fit on them. I know it's the right tire iron because I've used it on the spare wheel lug nuts before without problems. I'm mad now. This should be so simple. How do you loosen/tighten the lug nuts? I'm stuck. Please help. Thanks.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
help!! I feel like such a dork right now haha... I can't even get the wheels off, jeez.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(1) Get rid of that lug wrench, it's worthless
(2) Buy a 1/2" drive breaker bar (they're not expensive, and you'll use it a lot)
(3) Buy a 1 1/16" socket, 1/2" drive
(4) Buy a 1 1/8" socket, 1/2" drive
(5) Fit 1st socket to breaker bar
(6) Try loosening with combination formed in (5)
(7) If 1st socket doesn't fit, try the other in similar fashion to (5) and (6)
(8) If neither works, come back here and post.

Once you find the right socket, and have removed the lug nuts, use some waterproof grease (I use some kind of crazy marine grease I had laying around) and grease the inside threads of the lugnuts. You'll thank yourself for doing this the next time you have to take them off.

:biggrin:

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay thanks, appreciate the help. So what's the use of that lug wrench anyways?? It doesn't even fit!!

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Moose. I went out and bought a deep socket set that had both sizes you mentioned and it worked like a charm and they actually came in handy because I needed a deep socket for one of the shock bolts anyways. I put one shock in so far.

scottwoodd8

Reaction score
you better replace your wheel lug nuts bro. i have encountered this problem too last month and my mechanic advised me to replace them, i could not take the risk of having a loose part on my car. so i googled for some general steps on how to replace wheel lug nuts and did it myself :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM