Loss of Power, Blinking Dash Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k2-k5

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. New guy here. Help me not want to drive this thing over a cliff.

’99 Disco Series II 90K

I took my Disco to a shop to have them test the alternator and battery as I had a dead battery after not driving it for 10 days. Result alternator is charging, but battery is discharged and is also 6 years old so I will replace the battery. This is where things get interesting. Pulling out of there parking lot it seemed like it was bogged down and underpowered. The “S”, “M” (I believe to be the sport and normal mode) and the “D” (drive indicator) are all blinking as well as the red light for the drive indicator on the center console. Shifting into 3, 2, or 1st have no lights. At 60mph it is revving at 3500rpm like it is in the wrong gear. I don’t think it could be related to the battery being discharged or anything but I thought I would mention it just in case.

Also the Three amigos lights have been on for almost 3 months.

What do you all think?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Change the battery. That is your issue.

k2-k5

Reaction score
Ohh-kay... I am a technical person (engineer) so I am eager to learn why a discharged battery would cause the vehicle to run poorly. Of course I am use to older vehicles with less electronics.

Anything special I need to do when changing the battery?

Thanks for your help.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing special, Just a normal battery change.

The reason for the issues, when the battery starts going dead (since your disco requires a certain voltage) the Alternator can't keep up with charging the battery and running all the electrics on the LR, things start having odd issues.

Kind of like a computer that has a power supply that is not putting out the full voltage, real weird issues start popping up.

k2-k5

Reaction score
I will replace the battery tonight. What size of battery do you recommend?

Thanks.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Buy any battery that will fit, with the most CCA. Keep in mind if you get 6 more years out of your next battery to feel privileged.

k2-k5

Reaction score
Problem solved. Bought a 850CCA battery. Only problem is the battery posts on new battery are more central on the battery so the neg. cable is about an inch short due to the other ground connector on the fenderwell. I took that off and ran a short piece of wire between the fenderwell terminal and the ground wire clip thingy for a fix short term.

The performance issues I mentioned right after the alt. test was done was probably from the load the tech put on the system during testing. This all makes sense now.

Thanks for the help!

thedessertkitche

Reaction score
Flashing light issue also

I'm having the same flashing light issue. The S & M, plus a couple of others and the D when in drive was flashing. I recently replaced the batter, alternator and starter.

I just switched out the new battery with a fully charged batter that fits and the problem went away. Why isn't the batter staying charged? could loose cable ends really cause that issue?

Thanks!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To much guessing and not enough testing.
Go have your charging system checked at a local parts store, it's free and should show you what is wrong.

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running the "other wire" for the ground was not a good idea. Get a battery that fits... don't go looking for trouble. I suspect the "wire" you ran was not a double braided true ground battery ground style cable? Your fix simply made the diagnosis it did NOT privide the real solution. -david

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM