Low Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably a moronic question and I usually know the answer, but this is my first LR3 I have owned so I'm not too sure if it's common. I plan on changing the oil myself sometime next week. I checked the oil level today and it's just at the "min" level. I let it idle for about 20-25 minutes before checking. I checked for leaks and broken seals around the drain plug and oil filter and found nothing. Is it just common for an LR3 with 90k miles to burn off oil? I changed the oil 5k miles ago using 8qts. I haven't had any issues with it, just looking into what could be a big problem. There is not any unusual activity going on through the exhaust.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 103k I am using about 3/4 of a quart per 5000k. Mechanic said it was normal.

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. We just rolled 115,000 and I haven't experienced any oil loss.Well, I haven't had to add any. We're on the 6 month or 7,000 mile program. I may check the dipstick level tomorrow. I'm curious now.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe OK as engine is hot.

I have about 155,000 km (96,000 miles) on my 4.4L V8 and am due for an oil change. This time I will have gone 12,000 km, (7,500 miles) since the last oil change, Castrol SAE 5W40 Syntec. Note the closest dealer north of me is in Greenland or Iceland; hence cold weather oil matters up here.

The oil level cold, (not hot), is sitting about half way between the full mark and the fill mark - about 1/2 to 3/4 a litre/US quart I suppose.

Hot, it might show near the fill mark, hence I always check oil in the morning on a cold engine parked in a level spot prior to engine startup. With the engine hot, my view is that you just do not know how much is up above; cold, you can assume the same amount is usually trapped up top or in the galleries, (or drained down), for the most part.

In other words, hot, the dip stick oil level at the fill mark after 7,000 miles may be OK and nothing to worry about.

Since this is your first oil change, do your engine and your wallet a favor and purchase a brand new oil drain plug, Land Rover part number 1013938. You do not know how many times the previous plug has been used - hopefully only once but ....yes, it does matter to the cast alloy oil pan.

ssloane

Reaction score
Funny this is posted today. Checked mine, 86K, about due for a change, 2 qts low. First time I experienced this kinda loss.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. This is actually my second time doing the change. I changed the plug out the first time and plan on doing it this time around. I checked the tail pipes and no oil residue was found.

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked ours. We're 3000 into our 7500 mile interval and oil level is a 1/4 down. It's only been 4 months.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it seems like they all start burning a little then, it would be worthwhile to check the oil more regularly. I wonder what the culprit is, rings, or something else, probably an expensive job to rebuild an engine.

I wouldn't freak out if you check and it is a quart low, keep in mind, the LR3 requires 8 quarts to fill. This is 3 more than most vehicles, due to the enlarged oil pan, and design to not go dry while doing off road at strange angles.

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Burning a quart of oil between oil changes is plenty normal as they age. Yes the piston rings, valve guides and other seals start to wear and age.

Nothing to worry or stress about. Yes as you get more miles, you will need to start thinking about checking the oil between changes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo