Different oil level readings with hood open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so this has been happening so i just had the tube going to the oil sensor replaced and the problem still occurs.

If i measure the oil with the hood open i get a different result than with hood closed. With hood open it tells me to add .5 quart. With hood closed it says its perfect.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_6616.jpeg
    IMG_6616.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6614.jpeg
    IMG_6614.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 17

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Response from FB. Looks like hood open is technician way and more accurate?

Attachments

• IMG_6619.png
    IMG_6619.png
    326.6 KB · Views: 17

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having the hood open and pressing the cancel button just allows you to bypass the 15 minute timer from when the engine is shut off.

If the oil is hot you’re going to get varying readings as more drains into the sump.

I personally just measure mine while it’s cold in my garage.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guys in the fb group are definitively saying with hood open is a different scale than with hood closed fwiw

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting observation. As an aside, when my oil level was low I didn't see the "Add x quarts" message. That would have been convenient because I was asking myself how much to add. It was all the way down so I put in 1 quart but that tripped the overfill condition.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting observation. As an aside, when my oil level was low I didn't see the "Add x quarts" message. That would have been convenient because I was asking myself how much to add. It was all the way down so I put in 1 quart but that tripped the overfill condition.
Literally an embarrassing useless setup they came up with

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I had to run out and check that rumor as I have never seen the statement in any official guide or bulletin.
Anyways, not in my case. Whether the bonnet is open or closed, the readings are identical.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I had to run out and check that rumor as I have never seen the statement in any official guide or bulletin.
Anyways, not in my case. Whether the bonnet is open or closed, the readings are identical.
Try after you shut the car after going somewhere

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never heard of the vehicle having different readings. Why would it? Seems like an extra complication for no rational purpose.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never heard of the vehicle having different readings. Why would it? Seems like an extra complication for no rational purpose.
I have no idea but conceptually it makes sense otherwise why wldnt the cruise control bypass work without having to open the hood?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM