Metal in my Oil LR2 2013

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommilousis

Reaction score
So I've been having oil leaks and getting them fixed. I recently smelled a lot of oil again driving back 300km from somewhere. Under the hood there was oil everywhere. I checked the dip stick regularly driving home but it was hard to tell if I lost all of the oil in my engine. When I got home I took it to a shop and they said there was a hole in the valve and something internally shot out and punctured the hole and on inspecting the oil in the car there is small shiny fragments of metal, most likely coming from damage to the engine.

Their advice is not to spend labor on pulling the engine apart and finding out what is exactly wrong with the engine and fixing it, instead, either buy a new engine 13K-15K, or sell it for parts and move on.

My thought was also to fix the leak and take my chances that not much damage has been done, drive the car for a while, as I look into my next move (buy used, finance, lease, etc.)

This is a big one and I would appreciate feedback...

Thoughts?

Tommilousis

Reaction score
Want to give background on the car: 150Km (mostly highway), has had turbo replaced already (under warranty at the time thank god), starter problems and fixed twice, 2 previous leaks fixed...

Tommilousis

Reaction score
do you think it matters? do you think they could be lying about something, want to get my car for parts, rebuild it and sell it for a profit? I was thinking that

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. Need to see what actually happened and if it can be repaired.

Tommilousis

Reaction score
I'm requesting it now
Here's the photo of the oil with fragments
Oil with Metal.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72