Lower Tailgate Moulding crooked on many LR3's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRO4

Reaction score
I've noticed that the lower outside tailgate moulding that is about 8 inches high and runs the entire back of the lower tailgate where it meets the bumper has a much tighter gap on the left side than the right side. You can hardly get you finger under the tailgate on the left side of the bumper and then it opens up by about an inch as it moves to the passenger side. Maybe its the bumper that's not straight, but it looks like the tailgate. The dealer says it's normal, which doesn't seem right for a premium import SUV. Anyone know what I'm talking about or better yet, know how to fix it??? Thanks-

Tim in Jacksonville, FL

BazLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt that this is normal. it is either the tailgate or the bumper, measure from the roof of the car down, it should be easy to tell if its the tailgate. If it was the bumper, it might take some more work depending on what had caused it in the first place, maybe a small bump . .

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't doubt that this is normal. There are a lot of "head scratchers" when it comes to the LR3. It is an incredibly capable vehicle and LR did many of the big things right, but the little things often escape them.

Last edited:

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes! I know exactly what you are talking about Tim! I'm reminded of it every time I wash the LR3 and then dry that particular area. Like you, I can't figure out if it's an issue with the tailgate or the bumper.

Vomitis

Reaction score
Mine is the same way. I've seen a lot like that when I was shopping for mine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our old LR3 was the same way. I just assumed that someone backed into it and pushed the bumper on one side.

I noticed on my LR4 that I bought used that the gap between the hood and front fender is completely different on both sides. Along the driver side front fender you can fit your finger tips under the edge of the hood. Passenger side fender fits tight to the hood. I was afraid it was in an accident despite a clean Carfax. Then I checked the hood on my wife's LR4 that we bought new and her hood fits exactly the same way. Go figure.

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our old LR3 was the same way. I just assumed that someone backed into it and pushed the bumper on one side.

I noticed on my LR4 that I bought used that the gap between the hood and front fender is completely different on both sides. Along the driver side front fender you can fit your finger tips under the edge of the hood. Passenger side fender fits tight to the hood. I was afraid it was in an accident despite a clean Carfax. Then I checked the hood on my wife's LR4 that we bought new and her hood fits exactly the same way. Go figure.

Try autocheck.com... MUCH more accurate and detailed than Carfax...

When looking for a vehicle for my son, the Carfax was clean... the Autocheck report showed two accidents including frame damage...

twoboarders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is the same way. I've seen a lot like that when I was shopping for mine.

The bumper has plastic piece that runs along the top. (For stepping) That snaps in. Could one side of it be popped out?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9