LR Keys made from Stainless Steel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

TTjr

The local dealer says they cannot provide us a replacement ignition key because the key is made of stainless steel and none of the local key grinders are able to properly machine a copy of the key...yet...next week...maybe..

Huh? What is wrong with this picture? Why is this such a big deal for a major dealership just to machine stainless?

And the price we are getting for two LR replacement ignition keys with the built in transmitter for security system/doorlocks is $350 USD for a pair.

The anatomy of the key does not seem to warrent the relatively high price but what the heck.

An alternate choice was a key vendor on ebay that could make the key and provide a separate FOB transmitter. But then there was the additional cost for programming which brought it up close to the local dealers cost.

So there you have it on the KEY story- looking forward to any comments.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rubbish. While indeed wallyworld wont make you replacement - local locksmith can make you pair for like 5$. Or you can get OEM blanks (they are something around 15$/each) and same dude will have to sweat a bit (not all machines accepting blanks with those huge plastic blobs on head) but it still will be well below 100$. I checked that one out with dude, then opted for plain steelies. Then you can buy transmitter of ebay, however 96 and older most likely will require you to go to dealer to programm bloody thing.

Personally - i am just using key without remote. Remote triggers extra state, and if your battery snuffs it in remote armed mode - its getting all funny to get car running again. Not impossible - but funny.

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen those keys w/remote fob built in @ my favorite used car dealer. They handed me 3 different sets to try to open the door on an 02 Freelander. The Lander's battery was run down & would not unlock its doors. I unlocked it w/ key but it wouldn't start. Weak battery. But I did notice those "Key in Fob" units and thought I bet these are really expensive! So now I hear they are. Shop around and please post your best results! Thank You, LRW.

Rich_98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
87_1_b.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7919658634&category=33723

Is that what your talking about? That key looks expensive in iteself, then to get it cut+programmed, $150?

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the one! But in my neck of the woods, we rarely lock our cars. My wifes Rover came from Texas & it was programmed to auto-lock after 2 minutes of exit when motor was off. Frustrating, so we had local boy @ epic audio reprogram & install remote start. I have very few & rare problems now. When I worked as a machinest in the early 80's, we used to just measure & mill needed keys from raw stock. I am pretty sure that the metal part will size as a standard key blank, available from ilco, but as far as the pod goes.....I Know Nothing! LRW.

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to own a shoe-repair store, and I had new cutting blades for S.S. blanks....check with a newer key-smith, and he will sell you a non-grip blank for about $2.00 including the cut. then puff a little graphite powder into the lock, and your on your way.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM