LR3 Alternator Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are an Awesome human being my man! I JUST ordered my alternator and soon as it gets here i was planning on putting it in myself! THANKS!
Steve

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would add a pulley tensioner replacement, while disassembled , since there was a TSB on it and a new one is improved and comes with a raised sides for a better belt placement.

05lr3guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great write up! I just did my alternator as well. I was able to do the whole job from underneath the 3 except removing the tension from the belt. I only removed the front skid plates the front (small) wheel well cover and had all the access I needed. Took about an hour and a half.

teamfalcon

Reaction score
I would add a pulley tensioner replacement, while disassembled , since there was a TSB on it and a new one is improved and comes with a raised sides for a better belt placement.

TSB? For what year(s)?

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about that. Pretty crafty way to get in there. This was a bit more of a learning experience so I was fine with spending the extra time to take everything apart. Did you have to take the fan off to get to the tension belt? Because I was thinking by the end of it that, that wasn't necessary?

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TSB? For what year(s)?

When changing a two front belts last year, My friend , local indy asked me what else and I told him , that i read on British forums , that bearings are failing on tensioner pulleys, so he called a Paramus LR dealer , where HIS friend works and asked him about that . Parts guy only suggested a pulley tensioner( the black wheel with three screws) as there was a TSB on it but did not mentioned which years.If newer years have an improved version(raised sides), than it will be an easy task to check ,if you have it or not...

Brooke Lynn

Reaction score
alternator brands

Hi guys, I'm new to the site and am hoping that you fellow LR enthusiasts can help me with my latest query. My mechanic says that my alternator is not holding a charge and that it needs to be replaced. He recommended buying a land rover alternator but the price is astronomical. He told me that he was more than happy to use one that I found personally. Can any of you recommend a brand or site that I should look for. This is for a 2006 LR3 4.0 L. Thanks sooo much :)

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got mine from british parts of utah. just do a google search. youll find the site. thats the one i used in the guide i made above

Brooke Lynn

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.....but, when I went to their site they only had an alternator compatible for a 4.4 L. I'm finding it difficult to find one for my 2006 LR3 4.0 :(

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9