LR3 BASE VS X5 - please help newbie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kingflow

Reaction score
hi everyone.

I am buying a new car and wanted some help on choosing. I have it narrowed to 2 cars. I am a lexus person so I am not familiar with land rover or the other car i may get.

I have 2 cars that I will choose from. here are the stats.

1. 06 LR3 6000 miles, V6 total base car. nothing extra even has leatherette instead of leather. - car has had gravel blown all over it so it has alot of little gravel specs in paint. I may need to repaint. Everything else is brand new. - price 25,9K

2. 03 BMW X5 3.045K miles - interior and exterior look great. phone system leather seats. very comfy. 25,9K

--------------------------------

also, should I expect problems with the LR3? are the reliable?

And, should I get some extras for the car.. factory wood add on? other items? thanks

Drew888

Reaction score
Well, I see no one is touching this one.

Ok from one newb to a mega newb...you could not have chosen two SUV's more opposite. Why are you looking at either one?

It makes more sense to compromise and save 5k for a used ML350 instead.
Compared to the X5; It's larger, same milage, optional 3rd row, just as quick, more reliable, just as safe, cost of ownership/repair is less, is more off road capable than the X5 could ever be, almost handles and brakes as well and it's a Mercedes.

I think the LR3 makes less sense unless some adventure is in your future.

Unless it's a 4.4l forget the X5 and if you are never getting serious with it's off road capability then forget the LR3.

For more responses you'll have to tell us why you are even considering these and what it is you are really looking for in your next SUV.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drew is on the same track I am. For me, the X5 was too small. I couldn't fit behind the drivers seat without my elbow being behind the b-pillar, making the driving position very uncomfortable. it also rode a bit to firm for me.

I have always off roaded to some extend, but since I got my LR3, I have exponentially increased my level of outdoor activity.

I can't speak about the reliability of an ML or X5, but the Land Rover will never let you down, though it does require more care and dealer visits than you may initially be expecting.

The LR3 has free service until...50,000 miles I think.

I have the same model you described, V6 Base model, pleather seats, base stereo, no Terrian Control, no air suspension, no navigation system, no parking sonar, no 3rd row seating, etc...

It does not lack for power, it does not lack for creature comfort features. I had a nice Volvo V70 before the LR3 as my daily driver, and the comfort level is comperable. I did have to mod my seats to get more travel and adjustment out of them. The higher trim levels have seats with much more flexibilty, so it's something to think about.

I'd say, if you plan on off roading at all, your LR3 option is they way to go. If you don't, then think about an FX35 or 45 :)

Cheers,

NW
www.nextstepdesigns.com

GMTIIFAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have had my lr3 for a year now and haven't had it off road one time. I will say that I love the ride (I get many compliments) as well as many other features that have been mention. That said, go for the lr3, it's great plus you'll have the most capable off roader should you ever need it! IMHO

H

Houm_WA

I agree with Drew....sure, the LR3 is nice as noted by GMTIIFAN, but until you take it offroad, you'll never understand its true nature. It is beast first and bueaty second. Also, I felt like the X5 was a much more fun on-road performer...and it has AWD and HDC so if you just need a good SUV for ski trips and bad weather, I'd go X5.

Finally, I don't know that I'd ask virtual strangers to weigh-in on a decision like this. Drive them both and go with your gut.

Kestreljr

Reaction score
Two cars- same price, and one is a (almost) brand new 2006 LR3 under warranty -OR- a (two months from being an old body style) 3 year old X5 with 45,000 miles on it? That is an easy choice for me, but I could always find a way to rationalize buying another LR.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously, a question like this is pretty bizzarre. Should I like blondes or brunettes, I can't decide...
How is anybody supposed to tell you if you like wood trim or not?
The two vehicles are two different beasts entirely and you can find a multitude of strangers to tell you to like one or the other. Chances are on a LR forum, people will tell you to go with the LR. Some LR's have been in for service, others like mine haven't had any problems. I was going back and forth between a touareg and lr3. You know what I did? I drove them and decided...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9