LR3 Fault Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

Anita

I was hoping if anyone had this problem. Recently my LR3 wouldn't turn on except all the lights and faults. I was stranded in a parking lot and had to get a tow to the dealer. The faults were Transmission, HDC, Park Brake.... Anyway, the dealer just "fixed" it with a ground wire and since it was in there, they did the recall on the gas tank. I just picked up my vehicle yesterday from the dealer and that night I had the vehicle running in my driveway and it suddenly just stopped running (engine just died) and it wouldn't turn on. Of course all the fault lights came on as well...So, it wasn't the ground wire.. Has this happened to anyone? If so, what was the fix? I am very disappointed because I actually really love my LR3...We have owned a Volvo, Mini, Lexus 470, Mercedes and I have never experienced problems such as these with a new vehicle with only 8k miles on it. I am waiting for the tow truck to arrive!!!!! Thank you.

H

Houm_WA

Anita,

I have had my share of faults, but my engine has never quit or the vehicle failed to start (knock on wood).

That said, I have had a similar combination of faults...I had the Transmission, HDC, Park Brake faults on...along with the one that looks like suspension (but in the case it was ARM...same icon).

That turned out to be a rear differential. Do you have the Heavy Duty Package?

A

Anita

Hey Houm WA,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, we have the heavy duty package. The Dealer is taken back by this and currently has no resolution. It looks like it will be a while...

C

ccw

I too have had the HDC, parking brake, transmission faults. On Friday I also got the check engine light. the Dealer said that all of the faults and the check engine light were related to a low voltage issue. They replaced my battery. So far that appears to have cured it, but it only has been three days and 400 miles

Chilkoot

J

JJABKW

I had the same problem twice. It did not involve the car quitting on me just the alarms that would reset if you shut the engine down and restarted it. I took the vehicle to the dealer for the 7500 mile service and mentioned the problem to them. I had low expectations because about 1500 miles had passed. The service rep stated that it was a sensor in the differential (I have the heavy duty package). he said that he had seen several LR3 with the same problem and that the only fix was to replace the entire differential.

A

Anita

Thanks for the info. I will pass that along to see if they had thought of those fixes. I just hope I dont get stranded again or if driving, the engine shuts off completely. I hope they find the problem!!

H

Houm_WA

JJABKW....wow, that's a tough handle to type !!

Anyhow, what your dealer told you is consistent with what I was told. I also spoke with the regional manager from LRNA (my region is NW) and he informed me that they are (or were) experiencing a 40% malfunction rate in the locking rear diffs. It isn't just a sensor...the problem is deeper than that. It has to do with a machined part out of tolerance that doesn't reach its full locking range, which causes a miscommunication between a sensor and the differential control module. A failure in this module "reports" through the transmission.

They changed the entire diff in my car as well, and after looking at the engineering drawing showing the exploded view of the rear diff (I really put the screws to my service writer) I cannot blame them for wanting to change the entire unit.

Problem has not happened again.

A

Anita

The dealer says it was another "ground wire" that has caused my engine to stop..hmmm....I hope this is it..This is my 3rd time with this problem and all they say is that it is another ground wire. Anyway I am going to pick it up tonight and cross my fingers that it was the ground wire again!.....I just hope I dont get stuck in traffic during rush hour (Boston) and get rear ended because my engine shut off and can't be turned on...I will let you all know the status.....

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just dropped mine off today for 15K service and mentioned the fault. We'll see what they say. Its only happened to me once thus far but I wanted to get a record of it on paper in case it causes problems later... ...who knows, maybe the engine error codes will help them out.

A

Anita

Well....sad news...It has happened again (4th time)! I have reported this now to Land Rover North America and a case is open. The dealer thinks its still a wiring problem and maybe moisture is causing it (I am thinking it's more than a wiring problem...ECU?)....If anyone has had any fault problems and have had fixes, can you please post?....Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM