LR3 Fuel Gauge - I wish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, i agree on the 1/3 thing..pretty lame. I actually havent even really followed that, but it seems to have fixed itself. The battery disconnect is really the only thing i can point to, even though i didnt disconnect it to try and fix my tank readings. also, dont have any scrapping on the tank. idk weird problem and im glad i didnt have to get the tank dropped.

how do all the reading work with your aux tank?

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tend to get evap faults when the tank is empty. I just keep 10gal in it all the time and do not have any problems...As far as fuel level I have a second gauge for that tank..

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Internal electric fuel pumps use the fuel for cooling.

I expect the Land Rover internal electric submersible fuel pump design has similar characteristics to GM and other vehicles. My understanding is that the fuel in the tank acts as a heat sink for the electric fuel pump motor.

As such, I routinely try to not run less than half a tank. In the past twenty years and perhaps half million miles, I have only had to replace one internal electric fuel pump.

Maybe I am lucky or maybe all the electric fuel pumps were the good ones, but I think that the availably of the fuel for cooling matters, and the more the better.

I also discovered the cost of filling the top half is the same as the bottom half.

While on the subject of fuel pumps, there is an internal screen filter within the electric fuel pump but no other replaceable filter between the gas tank and the engine.

The diesel engine 3's have external replaceable filters, but not the gasoline powered vehicles. And yes, there are two internal fuel level sensors, one at the front of the tank and the other at the rear with the fuel pump.

farupp

Reaction score
On our 2008 LR3 HSE the mpg can be reset by choosing the reading with the button on the end of the turn signal stalk and then holding the button in a second time until the reading on the screen indicated zero mpg. After driving about a half-mile the new mpg starts reading.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72