LR3 intermittent non-start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank_ws6

Reaction score
I've used the search function but wasn't able to find this problem for the LR3 - most of the non-starts were for the older Discovery. Basically I would turn the ignition on, and truck would crank but the engine wouldn't turn. I tried this again and again but to no avail. I even tried the next morning and nothing. So I had the vehicle towed to my local LR dealership and guess what - it starts fine. So right now the dealership cannot re-create the problem so they are having trouble diagnosing it. They've offered to keep the truck until they can re-create the problem and fix it (which by the way made me very happy because I was afraid they'd say "we're sorry sir but there's nothing we can do"), but I was just wondering if anyone's had any experience with this so that I can maybe point them in some direction if that may help.

Thanks!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you ruled out the obvious? Battery.

Frank_ws6

Reaction score
yup battery is fine - as I said it's now been at the dealership for 2 days... and they can't get it to NOT start anymore so they can run diagnostics.

It actually starts up just fine now - I just cannot bear the thought of being stranded somewhere with my 2 kids (babies)!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was no DTC recorded when you were unable to start the car? That's odd. Usually they should be able to retrieve those trouble codes from memory, specifically to identify issues that mysteriously disappear the following day. If the engine was turning it probably woudn't be the battery, when my battery was almost dead there was no cranking at all. It's gotta be something in your starter motor / solenoid.

Frank_ws6

Reaction score
Yes apparently there were no trouble codes. With my limited knowledge, it sounded like there was no fuel going to the engine and so it wouldn't "catch" (and the starter would indefinitely keep cranking).

Frank_ws6

Reaction score
Vapour Lock?

The vehicle has started fine every time they try at the dealership all week. They said they really can't find anything wrong it it most probably was a case of "vapour lock" (apparently where the fuel vapourizes and the fuel pump shuts off). Has anyone ever heard of this?

KyRover

Reaction score
Vapor lock was a fairly common problem back when most cars and trucks used an engine mounted low pressure fuel pumps. Since the fuel pump was mounted on the side of the engine block the fuel was exposed to a lot of heat and the fuel was under very little pressure so it was much easier for the fuel to vaporize. Vapor lock would happen when you would try to start a hot car because the fuel pumps can't pump a vapor. With todays vehicles using in-tank pumps it's hard to imagine that the problem could be vapor lock since the fuel is never getting hot enough and the rest of the system, from the pump to the fuel injectors should be under pressure, 40 psi give or take, even when the vehicle is shut off. Preventing the fuel from vaporizing.

I think your dealer needs to look deeper for the problem. Good luck.

Frank_ws6

Reaction score
Thanks for the info... I know it seems strange about the vapour lock. However the dealer is being very helpful and have even given me a brand new 800km '09 HSE (mine is an '06 V6 SE) for the weekend while one of the service advisors drives my truck around for the weekend - hoping to re-create the problem. Their customer service has been excellent. Hopefully some good will come out of this (other than my ride having been upgraded for the weekend!)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4