lr3 not shifting right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeLa2

Reaction score
Wife got in her '06 LR3 tonight (72,600 miles). Won't shift until she hits 6-7000 rpms, for every shift, and than VERY rough shift. Same thing in sport mode, but manually shifting works fine. No problems leading up to this. Getting a "No DSC fault available" immediately after starting. Any suggestions??? Hoping the tranny isn't going ka-put ...

Trynian

Reaction score
Not much you can do accept have the fluid changed and the adaptive shifting reset. The normal fluid change interval is 100k but amny of us get it done by 50k.

DeLa2

Reaction score
Drove it to work this morning - roughly 30 miles one way. Cruise Control wasn't working and about half way I got a "transmission failure" and a "HDC not available" message. Ironically, drove it home and everything worked normally. No messages, shifted like nothing ever happened, and cruise control worked perfectly. I'm confused?!?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know I'm certainly no expert at electronic gremlins, but a weak battery can throw dsc and hdc faults. I suppose it could be possible that if your battery is original, that could be part of the problem. And it doesnt necessarily have to 'feel' weak to be a little below whats needed. Although I've not heard of weak batteries causing shifting problems....

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake light bulbs, brake switch etc

Check your brake light bulbs and tail light bulbs - have you changed any recently and put in non Land Rover brand bulbs? Brake light circuit problems can show up as tranny not good, plus HDC and Cruise not available etc.

When everything is wrong, the problem is generally minor - just the computer system making a big thing out a small problem.

Replace your brake light switch - about $25 and if that not resolves the current problem, then it will stave off another one that will show in time.

Last edited:

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get it diagnosed properly. pull the codes and go from there. dont beat around the bush

DeLa2

Reaction score
Noticed one break light out last night. Going to dealer this morning for diagnostic. Will update after. Thanks everyone.

DeLa2

Reaction score
Craziness! Took to Dealer. They said battery was the culprit. Replaced it and said LR3 was as good as new. Drove home and everything was fine. Left a little while later and initial problem reoccurred. Took back to Dealer following day. Kept it a few days. They called me and said they did some reprogramming and that everything was fixed. Wife picked it up that night. got a little over a mile down the road and initial problem re-occurred again. Right back to the Dealer! Called me yesterday and said they finally have it fixed. Apparently they replaced the driver side Brake Lamp and now everything is running as it should. Does this sound absurd to anyone? Ridiculous!!!

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not absurd, just annoying.

I guess that is why I posted about brake light filaments and make a big deal about it.

The link below is to a number of files I have in my gallery on disco3 re the brake light circuit, bulb filaments, and the brake light switch.

There is a brake circuit pdf also and if you really examine it with a microscope, you will see how merely stepping on the brake pedal, (or not), sends signals, (good or bad), to the ABS module, the Transmission Control Module, Hill Descent brains or lack of, and who knows what else as the CAN Bus is informed as well.

The reason this sort of thing does not happen on most normal vehicles is that normal vehicles do not have any sort of Hill Decent Inhibitor. Believe it or not, when the hill descent is retarding the vehicle, the brake lights go on even though you have not touched the brake pedal.

When brake light filaments are not as they should be, the computers pick this up as any number of problems. Dealers have installed brand new automatic transmissions due to owners installing non Land Rover supplied bulbs and hence the problem remains. When the dealer discovers the non OEM bulb, you are paying for the new tranny or you do not get your 3 back.

Also you may as well get a new brake light switch installed as if it not already going bad, it will. I also have a suspicion that a defective backup light can result in similar problems.

Insert disco3 co uk with periods in between where the *** are.

http://www.**************/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5082

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99