LR3 slight differential noise normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAJOD

Reaction score
Just wondering if all LR3s have a slight gear noise on the highway? Almost sounds like the differential but not sure.

I drove three of them. 2006,2007, 2008 and they all had that sound. One of them was louder than the others but I don't have that on my Explorer.

Wondering if thats just what a LR3 sounds like.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They can be quiet. But most on the road have some sort of noise to them. Sometimes a differential, but often tires.

I have seen diff noises on these be both from the gears, and from the bearings, so there is no definitive only when accel or decel check. But tire wear is very common, they like to cup and that will cause a good amount of noise. What brand tires do you have?

RAJOD

Reaction score
They are Perreli zeros.

Brand new tires, balance, brackes etc. Drives smooth. Has new bearings too.

The noise is not tires its some kind of gear noise. If I push or let up on accell I can change its pitch easy. I'd guess some kind of dirrerential or gear.

They all seemed to exhibit it to different degrees. If i coast I can change the pitch some even though the tires are traveling at the same speed as before. So its related to the drive train in some way. I'm not saying anything is broke or needs fixing its just a sound.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, with it coming and going with throttle input in gear, most likely a differential. Both front and rear have failed in this way. Yet to see gear noise from the transfer case.

How many miles is on it? Might help to change out your driveline fluids if you haven't already.

RAJOD

Reaction score
It has 80k on it. In another post I think you said when it hits 90k maybe change all the fluids.

I dunno about differentials are they bathed in oil or just lubed?

I guess if the level where low might explain some noise.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those diffs have a very high failure rate compared to any other Rover built. Have you ever had the fluid changed? Before it fails, consider having someone check the fluid for metal and if none at least change the fluid to see if it helps.
Let us know how it turns out.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I said 90k for the diffs and t-case I mis-spoke.

I recommend front and rear differential fluids, be it locking or open, at or before 75k, along with the transfer case.

The transmission fluid I recommend starting to change out around 90k, spec is 150k, and pretty low failure rate due to fluid itself, so that's not as urgent, I wouldn't push much past 120k though, but change the diff and t-case fluid soon.

RAJOD

Reaction score
Oh thanks !

Is this a job for a LR dealer only?

I have a mechanic thats honest and does good work. He is close by vs 70 miles to LR dealer.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, anyone can do a driveline service. A couple things to mention for mechanics that are not well versed on Rovers though.

The transfer case uses special fluid, there are some ATFs that cross over, however I suggest factory fluid in it, you'll need 2 quarts, it's pricey, but you only need 2. The differentials is just gear oil, get a good synthetic 75w90, and you'll need a LSD friction modifier if you have a locking rear differential.

Both the front and rear differentials are NOT fill to level, like most units are. They take a specified amount of fluid (0.6L for the front, 1.1L for open rear, 1.5L for locking rear)

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave, what do you think about using an 85/140 for a little extra wear protection for those diffs?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oledave49