LR3 Tow Safty chains no good place to hook to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAJOD

Reaction score
This is strange. I've been towing boats since 1979 and never had a car without the loops for the safety chains.

They are suppose to criss cross and catch the boat trailer tongue in the cradle of the criss cross chains.

I don't see any receivers with the loops nor does the LR3 have any.

I have the quick release OEM receiver.

The center tow hook could be used but its a bit higher up and would not work as well as two separate for the criss cross.

Could not find a single picture of anyone towing a boat with a LR3 showing where they put the chains.

I guess I will be the first when I get the boat hooked up.

Below is my truck and i pasted in a ball w 2 inch riser that I might purchase.
No loops on sides of ball/receiver to hook the trailer chains to.

hitch2.jpg

Last edited:

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't say for your setup, but my chain loops are on either side of the area that the receiver hitch slots into.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2, look at the hole where the hitch goes in, there's loops on both sides of that.

RAJOD

Reaction score
Thanks, yes I had to lay on the ground and they are part of the bumper receiver frame on each side. Somehow I missed them.

I was at the marina and bought a curt with 2 inch riser. That gives around 16 inches from the ground. Also found a 49 cent plastic screw driver for those panel screws. Its a door shim!

I snapped a photo of the elusive safety chain mounts. And yes I have not tightened the ball yet. That is a goofy looking hitch setup, a straight tube would have been simpler for sure.

saftychainmntlarge.jpg

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, yes I had to lay on the ground and they are part of the bumper receiver frame on each side. Somehow I missed them.

I was at the marina and bought a curt with 2 inch riser. That gives around 16 inches from the ground. Also found a 49 cent plastic screw driver for those panel screws. Its a door shim!

I snapped a photo of the elusive safety chain mounts. And yes I have not tightened the ball yet. That is a goofy looking hitch setup, a straight tube would have been simpler for sure.

saftychainmntlarge.jpg

I leave closable chain loops permenantly hanging and then just clip on to them, makes it much easier.

Auburn92

Reaction score
I always take the cover off the bumper there and attach my chains to the tow ring (I guess that's what that is).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99