LR3 tow wiring harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cannonball55

Reaction score
I know i dont have a plug behind the plastic panel... and i think the only thing i need is the wiring harness like this one:
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/YWJ500220ABP

I seem to remember reading that there was possibly another section of wiring harness that isnt always there that may need to be purchased also, i believe it comes from under the dashboard.

can anyone provide more information?

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing you might need that would be related to the "dashboard" is a brake controller. However, you only need this if you are towing a trailer/camper/etc. with it's own brakes and want to be able to adjust the amount the brakes are applied in relation to the LR3s brakes.

I don't tow anything very large, so I can't tell you the details, but I CAN tell you that even if you get the largest trailer from U-Haul, which does have it's own brakes, you do not need the brake controller... according to them. :)

cannonball55

Reaction score
The wiring harness has a 7pin connector is that correct? If so that should provide standard trailer braking abilities.

I know that brake controllers are able to adjust the braking specifics but that shouldn't be necessary as I'm only going to be building a small lightweight travel trailer. I may very occasionally tow a larger trailer for moving large and *MAYBE* a car across the country (va-ca via southern routes). So standard braking would be sufficient I believe.

Sent from Tapatalk using my iPhone.

jbrincks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wiring harness has a 7pin connector is that correct? If so that should provide standard trailer braking abilities.

I know that brake controllers are able to adjust the braking specifics but that shouldn't be necessary as I'm only going to be building a small lightweight travel trailer. I may very occasionally tow a larger trailer for moving large and *MAYBE* a car across the country (va-ca via southern routes). So standard braking would be sufficient I believe.

It does have a 7-pin connector; however, cmb6s is correct. If a trailer is equipped with brakes than you will need a brake controller to be able to use the trailer brakes. Otherwise, you will be towing the trailer without the trailer brakes.

cannonball55

Reaction score
Okay so even with the 7pin connector standard trailer brakes are not being utilized unless an additional brake controller is being used?

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I believe that is correct. I did a little research because I was confused about the UHaul trailer and thought that I misunderstood the employee and maybe the brakes on the trailer were just emergency brakes if it became disconnected. Turns out the U-Hauls use surge breaks, so they are activated by a lever/switch inside the hitch socket on the trailer. The harder the towing vehicle breaks, the more force is applied between trailer and tow vehicle, so the more the lever is activated and the more the trailer breaks are applied. It has nothing to do with brake pedal travel or force applied by the towing vehicle... only the rate of slowing.

So, to operate standard electric trailer brakes, you would need a brake controller. There was a Ford controller that I believe people were recommending, but I don't know the model offhand. I believe it was in the $130 range though...

cannonball55

Reaction score
Ok, so what I have gathered is that a flat 4 is for left turn, right turn, brake light and ground.

A 7 pin is left turn, right turn, tail lights, ground, aux power, reverse lights and electric brakes.

So this brings the question of if the electric brake pin from the connector isn't performing braking. Is it powered? Or is it just not used? Are there any other pins or features on the 7pin connector that are not used?

Bumpdaddy

Reaction score
Just to clarify: the 7 pin connecter that is part of the LR trailer wiring harness can only "activate" trailer brakes with a brake controller installed under the dash. If no brake controller, the brakes do not work on the trailer. Typically, any trailer with a weight of over 2,500lbs is required to have electric trailer brakes by law. The law varies from state-to-state. Here's a good guide to follow published by AAA: http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-brakes/

The trailer I tow with my LR3 is about 6,250 lbs and 27'7" long. I have a prodigy brake controller with a ford wiring harness. Works great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM