LR3 VS FJ Cruiser Offroading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

surf_rover

Reaction score
Hey I am new here and looking into getting a LR3 soon. My buddy has a Toyota TRD FJ and I want to know how the LR3 stacks up against the FJ offroading. Does anyone have any experience offroading verse a FJ?
I love the LR3 for it's styling, room, and class. I have always know of their crazy off road ability, but I just wanted to here some experiences from real owners. If we are attacking the same trail will I leave him hanging or will I be the one left behind?

Patriot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I am new here and looking into getting a LR3 soon. My buddy has a Toyota TRD FJ and I want to know how the LR3 stacks up against the FJ offroading. Does anyone have any experience offroading verse a FJ?
I love the LR3 for it's styling, room, and class. I have always know of their crazy off road ability, but I just wanted to here some experiences from real owners. If we are attacking the same trail will I leave him hanging or will I be the one left behind?

I had an FJ Cruiser then a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 dr) Rubicon and now a 2007 LR3 HSE.

LR3 is best both on and off-road hands down.

Patriot

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's a big statement Patriot! Could you elaborate a little? Better in what way? The Rubi is better in approach/departure angles, breakover angle, better gearing and ground clearance, stock tires, stock diff. locks...not to mention liftable if desired.
Granted I'd never want it over my LR3 because it's not that important to me. On road, there obviously is no comparison...Just curious what criteria you are using for off road.

Last edited:

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about smoother ride offroad or ability to do serious offroading with 6 people in complete comfort?:biggrin:

I took 6 of us on a tour of the ranch, which included a 30 degree climb over mowed brush and decompossed granite last weekend. All four wheels were in a perpetual spin-Yoko A/T-S's go on Tuesday. My 6'2" 70 year old father even said he had plenty of room in the third row (his designated place when I'm driving).

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if *Forbes* is an offroad expert, but here is their rank on the top offroad vehicles:

http://www.forbesautos.com/advice/toptens/off-road/suvs.html

1. Hummer H1 Alpha
2. Hummer H2
3. Mitsubishi Montero
4. Land Rover LR3
5. 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
6. Land Rover Range Rover
7. Jeep Grand Cherokee
8. Land Rover Range Rover Sport
9. Lexus LX 470
10. Lexus GX 470

-Rich

geoaustin

Reaction score
Dear god, the H2 as #2!! What a joke. I wonder on what they base their findings.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That might just be the most ******** list I've ever seen...

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That happened to a D1 in our group last weekend. Makes a three hour trail into a six hour trail.
Whoever was in back of Hummer is in for a long day.

Last edited:

surf_rover

Reaction score
Anyone have any direct experience with an FJ?
Anyone have any experience with the Montero? Do they even compete with the LR3?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635