LR3 VS FJ Cruiser Offroading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch! That is crazy. When that video was over, they showed some additional ones and this one popped up:

YouTube - Hummer h2

It compares the H2 to the D2 and a RR (among other vehicles). Of course they show the H2 doing all sorts of things the D2 and RR couldn't - I'm not sure if it is the speed of the video, but it certainly seems like they handicapped some of the vehicles by stopping in the mud and then trying to restart (versus keeping your momentum - as fast as needed, as slow as possible), whereas they seem to be flying through the stuff in the H2 (clearly doing a better job of keeping their momentum).

LR3 >> H2 :biggrin:

-Rich

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like that fording basin got a little deeper between the Hummer and the rest of the trucks. The guys at GM had to have put that together because how else would they have accessed that course. You can totally tell they were setting up the other vehicles for failure. Bogus video!!!

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like that fording basin got a little deeper between the Hummer and the rest of the trucks. The guys at GM had to have put that together because how else would they have accessed that course. You can totally tell they were setting up the other vehicles for failure. Bogus video!!!

Agreed. That, and there is no reason the Rovers couldn't go in to that basin - there are far more impressive videos on the web of people in their LR3s/RRs going through water.

-Rich

geoaustin

Reaction score
Very rigged... the MB G-Class comes with standard front, center, and rear lockers...

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obviously someone trying to make themselves feel better about driving a 10,000 lb
Silverado.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned a Montero, and have wheeled with the FJ's, and have a drinking buddy who is the Toyota FJ Trail Team Leader.

I don't think the LR3 is better than the FJ in off roading. They are about equal stock, but the FJ can very inexpensively be modified to be far better. You can get a 3" lift and still be in factory warranty and spec, and 6" kits are now available. There are dozens of MFR's of front and rear steel bumpers with significantly improved angles, and skid plates and rock sliders aplenty.

The earlier FJ's required a software hack to enable the rear locker AND traction control at the same time (for the front wheels), so without the hack, the LR3 has much better traction in a given situation, but the FJ has good articulation, and good angles & clearances.

However, the LR3 is WAY more comfortable to go off roading in. It has FAR better visability, and It is SIGNIFICANTLY more refined, spacious, and comfortable. Also, the LR3 has a better turning radius, and a much more powerful engine.

The Montero (no longer sold in the US), has center and rear lockers available, and great angles, but limited ride height stock. Lifts are available, and turn it into a downright nimble little billygoat. They are quite nice inside and handle off road rigours well, properly equipped and slightly modified. They are hugely popular overseas, in their more basic trim levels.

There are some photos on my website of a joint Land Rover/FJ Trail Team trail run to the John Bull Trail in Big Bear, CA: http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?cat=23

Attachments

• 109807761-M.jpg
    109807761-M.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 109807784-M.jpg
    109807784-M.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 109808068-M.jpg
    109808068-M.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 113

surf_rover

Reaction score
Wow great pics and info on your site! My friend has the 2007 TRD edition, but it is stock. I just wanted to see if an LR3 stock for stock would keep up. Thanks for the great info. I saw the Montero as a cheap alternative to the LR3 but with the whole ground clearance issue it does not seem like a good choice. How did you like your montero? oh and did you paint your LR3(fender arces, door handles...etc) or is it a factory option?

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Montero I had was great, but it was the previous body style. I can't fit in the newer one. It was rock solid reliable, and easy to service because they use Chrylser engines! We had a 2" OME spring lift on ours, and larger tires. It was underpowered for sure, but it could climb up most anything. The brakes were very rudimentary compared to the LR3's, and of course, the LR3 is much more comfortable and spacious, and has a better turning radius.

My truck is a long story. It's a pre-production import, that was custom painted by the Special Projects Director at Premier Automotive Group (PAG), the parent company that owns Land Rover, under Ford. It was used as a test mule for various paint schemes.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... Also, the LR3 has a better turning radius,...

I've always loved that about the LR3. For such a large vehicle, the turning radius is fantastic. Superb for parking, u-turns...and oh yeah...off roading tight situations. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635