LR4 19 inch wheels to 20 inch wheels and tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bruster

Reaction score
I am wanting to change the 19 inch wheels on a 2016 LR4 to 20 inch tires and wheels. Am I correct that the dealer needs to recalibrate the speedometer with this change? Also can anyone suggest a good place to purchase OEM 20's. Are Perelli's worth the cost? And finally any advice on selling 19 inch OEM wheels.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you go with 255/50/20 tires the speedometer will be fine. (Same overall diameter) I doubt you can recalibrate the speedometer. Pirelli tires that came on my LR4 were nearly bald at 15K miles. Michelin Premier LTX are wearing far better.

The dealer can sell you any 20" LR4 wheel you like, but that will be expensive. Keep an eye on ebay for used 20" wheels, but be sure they are OEM Land Rover wheels. RR Sport 20" wheels may fit, but the offset is different than the LR4. Also beware of "remanufactured" wheels that were straightened, welded, painted, etc.

19" wheels may be hard to sell. Try posting them in the classified section here in the fall when people need wheels for winter tires.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IIDTool has a speedo recalibration routine in its settings... But why bother? Even assuming you upsize tires (if you simply switch from OEM 19 to OEM 20' tires and rims, you won't change a thing as the overall circumference of the tire and revolutions per mile will remain the same), the worst you can generally do is +/- 4% or so - hardly worth recalibrating IMHO.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the maximum overall wheel diameter that will fit into the well? The trick for offroad is to minimise the rim but maximise the tyre. The test then is to lower the suspension and turn wheels max left and right… And if they don’t catch, it’s supposed to be OK.

Unfortunately, the brakes on my LR4 3.0 D require rims no smalller than 18”, so I am thinking of Compomotives PD 1881, the only question remaining what AT/MT tyres to put on them. The standard overall diameter is 30 inches, regardless of the rim (because a 20-inch rim goes with a smaller tyre). I believe the max, though, will be anywhere between 31 and 32.

I have heard people say that a bigger wheel overall combined with an aggressive MT tyre can be a burden to suspension offroad, e.g. when you must turn in mud. Any ideas there?

Actually, not sure if this fits in this thread, or should I start a new one?

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bruster, I may be interested in your 19 inch wheels as I am toying with the idea of having two sets. What design/pattern are your wheels?

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll bet you'd easily sell the 19" set if you did them one at a time. Lots of us want a full size spare.

mkenneth

Reaction score
I have a set of 5 20" OEM wheels with around 2.5k on them! I have not used them since I mounted my 18" compomotives. I am in Plano and would be happy to get you more information / photos and sell them to you!

mkenneth

Reaction score
Here are the 20" rims and tires for sale

IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0826.JPG

IMG_0827.JPG

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads