LR4 as a off road vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On MY2010-13s, the locking rear differential was an option that also included a full size spare, bu the two-speed gearbox was always standard. Since 2014, the locking rear diff has been incorporated in the HD package that also includes the 2-sp box with improved Terrain Response (along with full size spare tire.)

Reaction score
On MY2010-13s, the locking rear differential was an option that also included a full size spare, bu the two-speed gearbox was always standard. Since 2014, the locking rear diff has been incorporated in the HD package that also includes the 2-sp box with improved Terrain Response (along with full size spare tire.)

Perfect info. Thanks.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old models (2013 and previous) all had the low range gearbox. Heavy Duty Package added the locking rear diff and the full sized spare.

New models (2014+) the low range gearbox was moved to the HD Package. So now HD Pack includes low range gearbox, locking rear diff, and full sized spare.

Make sense?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the LR4's I looked at are 19 inch. 255/55/19. I looked at tires. But I may buy used so I don't know what it would come with. But I won't buy a LR4 with 20's. Sliders are not only for sliding. They are also protecting the body running board area. Just like underbody protection is for protecting the frame and undercarriage. When you off road you typically put the wheel over the highest obstacle. This then can cause the rock to hit the frame right where you have the slider or running board. It's not only about sliding but also protection.

An LR4 with 19's is less likely including other options too so be sure you know what you want and how to look for it. For example, if you do NOT want the nicer leather and some other features, then you do not want to find a used lr4 with 20's as it will usually have the higher options as well.

However, it's funny you say you "won't buy an LR4 with 20's" ...um, you might but saying that is a little goofy based on what your options are to chose from. It's either 19's or 20's and 19's are even more dumb than 20's because of so few tire choices in that size.

Regardless of which one, you're going to be buying 18's or you are not going to be needing any sliders whether it's for "sliding" or for "protecting"...which are the same thing. I don't think I've heard anyone ever say they were only for "sliding" ;) Mine are usually used more as "thunkers" or grunters because use of them often makes the passenger make strange noises ;)

Frankly, your best choice is either to build out one on your own, or buy one that is already set up properly like AxelR on this forum who's selling one with 18" (you cannot just go to the dealer, or anywhere else, and jut buy an 18. There are only about 5 in the world that I am aware of to fit and none come from the US.

Reaction score
Old models (2013 and previous) all had the low range gearbox. Heavy Duty Package added the locking rear diff and the full sized spare.

New models (2014+) the low range gearbox was moved to the HD Package. So now HD Pack includes low range gearbox, locking rear diff, and full sized spare.

Make sense?

I needed that info for my search. Thanks.

El Solis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents, worth half that.
1 We got a 2013 because of the V8
2 I added a full size (19 in rim) for $50
3 We have 20 in rims but I went with the Nitto Tera Grappler G2 and they have been amazing
4 I added Tactical 4x4 sliders because they protect the compressor (the relocation bracket is easy to install as I did it myself.
5 I recommend as a staggered purchase a better sump guard and transfer case skid (I've seen these in action, awesome)
6 Green Oval suspension rods to give extra lift only when needed

Less than $2500 for tires, sliders and rods and it has been a worry free blast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfect info. Thanks.

Yep. I have the MY14 and ordered it with the HD package which includes low range - which I use often - and a full size spare. After today I'll be looking at sliders and other protection in the spring before I hit the trails - and start changing tires - again.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am all for adding goodies on the truck...for the sake of safety/durability (but really, mostly just to show off hehe), etc BUT even in stock trim, the LR4 is supremely capable even with the crappy stock Conti tires. I have taken my stock LR4 all over the desert in California and had zero issues with various terrain. Even came across a few stranded Wranglers on a couple of my trips. Obviously, after I started modding, it felt even more capable :)

Reaction score
It's amazing what a capable stock vehicle will do. Thats why I am focusing on protection. That and tires are the most important things in my experience. It appears the LR4 has some areas that could use more protection. Especially from rocks which is all we have out here in Colorado. As with every truck I will go slow and asses for myself what I really need. But I did want to get and idea of what I was getting into with a LR4 vs perhaps a Grand Cherokee.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge