LR4 Battery and other issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rover831

Reaction score
Has anyone had to replace their battery? Car wouldn't start and dealer said battery dead or low (50,000 miles) also had an issue with the front passenger door where it wasn't fully engaging, wonder if this was a cause? I had major service in June and none of this was noticed. Also had issue with the hood sensor and alarm going off, then that was repaired but it wouldn't lock properly (two beep default). I replaced brakes and rotors at 34,000 and dealer said rear brakes are a little worn. Can't wait to get rid of this heap of junk! All show and no go.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had to replace their battery? Car wouldn't start and dealer said battery dead or low (50,000 miles) also had an issue with the front passenger door where it wasn't fully engaging, wonder if this was a cause? I had major service in June and none of this was noticed. Also had issue with the hood sensor and alarm going off, then that was repaired but it wouldn't lock properly (two beep default). I replaced brakes and rotors at 34,000 and dealer said rear brakes are a little worn. Can't wait to get rid of this heap of junk! All show and no go.

What year is your LR4? Batteries don't last a lifetime. Mine is a 2010 and I am expecting to have to replace my battery in the near future as well, although it has checked out fine every time I have been to the dealer. I replaced my brake pads and rotors last week as well. My service tech said the average brake life is 25k miles, while some people need brakes after 15k and some need brakes after 50k. There are so many variables.

As far as your issues with the passenger door, hood sensor, and alarm- Hopefully you were able to get these covered under warranty. If they weren't fixed or diagnosed properly, maybe you should visit a different LR dealer or contact LRNA corporate. As I'm sure you know, the LR brand hasn't exactly been known for its perfect reliability in the past, although it has come a LONG way. I haven't had but a few minor warranty repairs done at the dealership on top of regular scheduled maintenance, and this 5.0L V8 is easily one of the best (if not the best) engines LR has used. We have a 2012 Evoque as well with 12k miles and no issues with that either.

I'm still unsure as to why you're referring to a $60k+ luxury truck as a "heap of junk" .... A few warranty issues here and there (and regular maintenance including battery, brakes, etc.) are a small price to pay for the capability, value, and comfort of the LR4. I think there are plenty of other guys on the forum that would agree. Good luck.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Land Rover as a brand is not perfect. Yet it is a universally known fact that luxury automobiles of any brand typically require more maintenance @ a higher cost than an average cookie-cutter car. Based on your comments, Land Rover is not for you

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, so unless I am missing something, it sounds like you basically got ripped off at the dealer for a brake job, got regular maintenance and maybe a couple of issues with hood and door latches in 50K miles. Oh, the humanity of it all! And now, the showstopper: A dead battery. Whatever shall we do now?

Quick, I'll take that heap of junk off your hands - free of charge - so you can go right back to sleep into an all go and no show Lexus, where little Japanese elves install batteries that last forever and brakes that never need service.

rover831

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I should add that I did not include every issue I've had, there are many more. I have also had many other luxury brands; multiple Audi's, a Volvo and the previously mentioned Lexus which I had for 8 years with absolutely no issues and with similar off road abilities. Most who drive this car never go off-roading and it has reliability scores from every reviewer out there that are very low. I'm just confirming that this has been my experience as well. I never had to replace full brakes, rotors, tires so quickly in any other (comparable) vehicle. I've never had so many electrical issues (doors that won't lock, alarm that goes off by itself for no reason, sunroof that gets stuck in open position, back windows that go up and down and won't stay shut, iPod jack that never works etc...) You are all clearly devoted to paying for maintenance and trekking to your dealer on a regular basis. I'd rather pay to not have these issues. Who wants to trek across the country in a car you worry will break down at the side of the road with your entire family. I've driven kids to camps across country and we've headed to the beach, but after year one it's a bit sketchy. This is a car to keep only under full warranty and if you don't mind going to the dealer frequently. Mine is 30 minutes away. I'll go for reliability next time. Feel free to buy my car it will be for sale soon!

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I should add that I did not include every issue I've had, there are many more. I have also had many other luxury brands; multiple Audi's, a Volvo and the previously mentioned Lexus which I had for 8 years with absolutely no issues and with similar off road abilities. Most who drive this car never go off-roading and it has reliability scores from every reviewer out there that are very low. I'm just confirming that this has been my experience as well. I never had to replace full brakes, rotors, tires so quickly in any other (comparable) vehicle. I've never had so many electrical issues (doors that won't lock, alarm that goes off by itself for no reason, sunroof that gets stuck in open position, back windows that go up and down and won't stay shut, iPod jack that never works etc...) You are all clearly devoted to paying for maintenance and trekking to your dealer on a regular basis. I'd rather pay to not have these issues. Who wants to trek across the country in a car you worry will break down at the side of the road with your entire family. I've driven kids to camps across country and we've headed to the beach, but after year one it's a bit sketchy. This is a car to keep only under full warranty and if you don't mind going to the dealer frequently. Mine is 30 minutes away. I'll go for reliability next time. Feel free to buy my car it will be for sale soon!

If you bought an LR4 expecting Lexus reliability, then you made the wrong decision. It's that simple. I just got my car and I am hoping for as few issues as possible, but also know I may well have to deal with issues. I am at peace with that. You aren't.

Even your expanded list of issues, while certainly not excellent, really is not bad. I see no transmission failures, blown valve trains, or many instances of the car leaving you stranded. You've no doubt had annoying issues. But none are major issues. Read up on X5 reliability or GL reliability. You will find some horror stories there sometimes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM