Lr4 Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carguy 67

Reaction score
Serious LRNA lack of common sense!

This will be the end of my saga. This weekend, after trying 2x to stop the annoying squealing of my brakes, I replaced my rear rotors and brake pads at my own expenses (car has 12k miles). I bought bremo rotors and ECB brake pads. When I began I noticed about a 1" ring of rust around the outside of my rear rotors. I thought alittle strange but nothing of it. Well the reason there was a 1" ring of rust is because my dealer, under direct instruction from LRNA, ground the edges off the allegedly brand new brake pads that they had installed the 1st time I brought the car in. What I thought was a truly bizarre "deglazing" abd lubrication of brand new pads became a complete grinding of the new pads so that maybe 80% of the pad contacted the rotor. Now I am beyond shocked because they intentionally reduced the capacity for the car to stop safely and correctly. This defies logic, and I cannot believe they made a conscious decision to do this. LRNA told me on the phone that, Yes they do recommend deglazing and "lubricating" the pads to stop squealing, but do not tell the techs to grind the pads down to remove an edge. I have an idea, why don't you fix the pads instead of compromising your customers’ safety. I really hope this foolishness does not result in someone being seriously hurt; I am just floored at this. I told the Rep at LRNA that I would gladly bring the parts I removed to LRNA headquarters, as it is about 12 miles from my house, to see what they are recommending their Dealerships do . Honestly, I have owned Audi's, BMW, MB as well as fords Chevy’s toyota, honda etc ...this is a first for me...Seriously pathetic...12k miles, people!!! I really hope none of you need to deal with this, but be aware of it, because it is true and it happened…

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a question and sorry if I missed it. For those of us with 2012 LR4s- Do we have the improved rotors and brakes?

LR4ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So haven't been here in quite a while, so very late to this brakes party. Am I the only one who is still on original brake pads and rotors, coming up to 30k miles? Just replaced tires at 28k, brakes still have quite a bit of wear left in them at that time.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am on 29k...been through 2 sets of brake pads front and back. Probably will be at 40K when i do the 3rd replacement for an average of 15k per replacment. Rotors still original. Going in the shop in the next 45 days or so. Bet the farm they will try to do the rotors but i am not going to let them. Interesting note about your tires...you got 28k out of them. I am very curious to see how long mine are going to last.

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for those folks who had their brakes changed at ~ 12K miles – How did you find out it needs to be changed? Is there a sensor? Did it start making noise like metal to metal?.. Or it was just a dealer who suggested it is time to change? Personally, I always chek it myself...

This difference is huge. I would understand +- 5K, but 15??

Last edited:

jenn 3

Reaction score
Don't think I've had either replaced (all services done at LR/RR dealerships). 24K, 2 years, 4 months (though was rarely driven first 6 months).

1badrover

Reaction score
Brake update

Ordered OEM pads from Parts.com and will be replacing them this weekend. Truck has 54,700 miles and this is it's first brake job. Won't be replacing the
rotors yet...still good. The wear sensors haven't touched yet, so they'll get
re-used too. :hello: I've always been MOPAR or no Car, but this (my wife's) LR4 is by far the best Truck we've ever owned!

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went in for my second service and pads were down to 30% in the front and weirdly 20% in the rear. I opted to replace both. Rotors were fine. Total cost for service and brakes, a little over $1400

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey gang,

I am probably getting close to my third service, the big one, and may get the rotors changed since I'm starting to get a very faint brake wobble up front during braking. My LR4 has about 35,000 miles or so and the pad were replaced once so far.

Anyway, I'm getting really tired of the insane amount of brake dust these OEM pads create. My old BMWs used to have this as well, good brakes, cause lots and lots of brake dust... but I've noticed my wifes new Merc doesn't create any brake dust as all and she's got the sport brakes - so it looks like Merc has figured out how to make outstanding brakes without dust.

What do you guys recommend for after-market pads that may help with brake dust? I may just have the brakes done at an indie shop if I can get the right set-up... OEM rotors w/good after-market pads.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9