Lr4 Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daveny

Reaction score
My wifes 2010 LR4 12,623 miles ...Needed new front and rear rotors and pads ... 1740$
My brothers wifes lr4 13.250 same brake issue, A man at my kids school ...same thing

After just trading in a 2008 sport with 26,000 miles that only needed its front pads replaced once i cant blame my wives driving

anyone driving on there original pads and rotors with 12,000 miles or more ?

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wifes 2010 LR4 12,623 miles ...Needed new front and rear rotors and pads ... 1740$
My brothers wifes lr4 13.250 same brake issue, A man at my kids school ...same thing

After just trading in a 2008 sport with 26,000 miles that only needed its front pads replaced once i cant blame my wives driving

anyone driving on there original pads and rotors with 12,000 miles or more ?

I have over 15 k with original pads and rotors. No issues so far

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have just under 12k at 11,875 miles. Still ok at this point.

Rob

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
18k miles and no brake issues

I had to change my pads at 12k. They tried to tell me to change the rotors and i said NO. I am at 19K right now and i bet the farm they are going to change the rotors this time when i bring it in abound the 22k mark. The guy at the shop told me it is the weight of the vehicle that is creating this issue. Like it or not...the LR4 wil be costing us all some good money on pads and rotors during the life of the vehicle. The way i figure it every 15k WILL be a pad change for sure.

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weight of the vehicle is a BS excuse. There are plenty of heavier trucks that don't go through brakes every 12K.

I owned a Ford Excursion for almost 40K miles and never put brakes on it.

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they are large rotors, and soft pads, to not squeel and give you the good stopping distance.......there is an updated rotor that is a little tougher............might consider getting a cryo dipped aftermarket rotor.........

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weight of the vehicle is a BS excuse. There are plenty of heavier trucks that don't go through brakes every 12K.

I owned a Ford Excursion for almost 40K miles and never put brakes on it.

No offense, but Ford's "brakes" are truly bottom on the "engineering" barrel when it comes to technology, rotor size, and overall stoppnig power. The LR4 brakes are "huge" in size and have absolutely amazing performance! And that comes with the trade-off and price associated to high quality engineering. Want cheap brakes that last forever, well you get crappy performance - it's a trade off. I'd rather have amazing braking performance with my LR4, you can keep your Ford that likely took several blocks to stop. :argh:

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know we have covered brakes at least two times in other threads. I'm not real impressed that the brakes are lasting less than 20k miles. I do aggree with count, these brakes feel like they could stop a train! I'm willing to pay for high quality parts, but along with performance, I expect a certain amount of durability too.

I may be way out of touch on brake jobs right now. I have done my brakes on the last three vehicles we have owned. $1740 sounds like a huge amount of money for rotors and pads.

I hope my brakes last long enough for the aftermarket to offer up alternatives.

Rob

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know we have covered brakes at least two times in other threads. I'm not real impressed that the brakes are lasting less than 20k miles. I do aggree with count, these brakes feel like they could stop a train! I'm willing to pay for high quality parts, but along with performance, I expect a certain amount of durability too.

I may be way out of touch on brake jobs right now. I have done my brakes on the last three vehicles we have owned. $1740 sounds like a huge amount of money for rotors and pads.

I hope my brakes last long enough for the aftermarket to offer up alternatives.

Rob

Hey Rob, I totally see what you're saying, that longer durability would be nice, but truly, any high-performance braking system designed with today's engineering aptitude and knowledge, don't last that long. Especially when it comes to driving habits. I'm sure there will be new materials down the road that will change this, but then again, the really amazing materials are eco-banned. And most of my past cars that had high-performance brakes needed brake pads and rotors replaced in the 12,000 to 15,000 range... so it doesn't bother me that much. I wouldn't trade the performance in a heart beat. But I'm conditioned to it. Folks who aren't, I can see the sticker shock associated to the job. But remember, there are valuable lives in the car and it's a small price to pay for the extra safety.

PS - $1,700 for brakes and rotors seems right IMO. A standard brake-job on a Honda for instance is about $1,200 - that's rotors, pads and labor plus warranty "priced" in.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72