Lr4 Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No offense, but Ford's "brakes" are truly bottom on the "engineering" barrel when it comes to technology, rotor size, and overall stoppnig power. The LR4 brakes are "huge" in size and have absolutely amazing performance! And that comes with the trade-off and price associated to high quality engineering. Want cheap brakes that last forever, well you get crappy performance - it's a trade off. I'd rather have amazing braking performance with my LR4, you can keep your Ford that likely took several blocks to stop. :argh:

First off, I never said that the Ford had great brakes....I simply stated that it went 40K + miles without needing pads, all while stopping a truck that weighs considerably more than an LR4. So the argument that the LR4 "is heavy" alone is not enough to justify why they eat through brakes in such a short time. Now that you ask, I never had any complaints about the stopping ability of that bus. (The Lexus GX470 I just got rid of is an entirely different story - worst brakes ever on any of the 40 or so cars & trucks I've owned. Must be that Lexus "engineering.")

Now, if someone said that the fast wear was a combination of vehicle weight and soft pads, I'd accept that. (That would also explain the insane amount of brake dust they produce.)

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, I never said that the Ford had great brakes....I simply stated that it went 40K + miles without needing pads, all while stopping a truck that weighs considerably more than an LR4. So the argument that the LR4 "is heavy" alone is not enough to justify why they eat through brakes in such a short time. Now that you ask, I never had any complaints about the stopping ability of that bus. (The Lexus GX470 I just got rid of is an entirely different story - worst brakes ever on any of the 40 or so cars & trucks I've owned. Must be that Lexus "engineering.")

Now, if someone said that the fast wear was a combination of vehicle weight and soft pads, I'd accept that. (That would also explain the insane amount of brake dust they produce.)

Weight does play a major factor when combined with high-performance. It's a mathematic ratio. Somewhat like power to weight ratios. And Japanese brakes are just as bad as American brakes. EU, High performance brakes just do not last as long. Do you know the LR4 is almost 6,000 pounds? - it's heavier than a Bentley! It's so heavy, that it's actually classified as a "truck" when imported to the US, and because of this, one does not have to pay for gas guzzler or luxury taxes. If we did, our LR4s would be $65K or more! Eek.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Rob, I totally see what you're saying, that longer durability would be nice, but truly, any high-performance braking system designed with today's engineering aptitude and knowledge, don't last that long. Especially when it comes to driving habits. I'm sure there will be new materials down the road that will change this, but then again, the really amazing materials are eco-banned. And most of my past cars that had high-performance brakes needed brake pads and rotors replaced in the 12,000 to 15,000 range... so it doesn't bother me that much. I wouldn't trade the performance in a heart beat. But I'm conditioned to it. Folks who aren't, I can see the sticker shock associated to the job. But remember, there are valuable lives in the car and it's a small price to pay for the extra safety.

PS - $1,700 for brakes and rotors seems right IMO. A standard brake-job on a Honda for instance is about $1,200 - that's rotors, pads and labor plus warranty "priced" in.

Hey Count,

I appreciate the insight. I know you and I have posted about it before. It is total sticker shock to me, and I am just not used to that type of interval. My Audis and Lexus vehicles have fared way better than this. I guess it really comes down to, I don't get $150 of enjoyment out of my brakes every month. Yes, I know I have to have them and they serve a extreemly valuable function, but that is more than I put in for gas each month. I get way more enjoyment out of the gas pedal.

Rob

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pads I can see but rotors should last at least 20k.

Last edited:

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weight does play a major factor when combined with high-performance. It's a mathematic ratio. Somewhat like power to weight ratios. And Japanese brakes are just as bad as American brakes. EU, High performance brakes just do not last as long. Do you know the LR4 is almost 6,000 pounds? - it's heavier than a Bentley! It's so heavy, that it's actually classified as a "truck" when imported to the US, and because of this, one does not have to pay for gas guzzler or luxury taxes. If we did, our LR4s would be $65K or more! Eek.

I know how much the truck weighs, thanks.

This also isn't my first "EU" vehicle. I've had several 911s, a couple of Saabs, and even a Lotus...none of which went through brakes appreciably faster than any of the Japanese or American cars I've owned. (Although in fairness to the Lotus....I got rid of that POS long before it would have been time for brakes.)

Regardless of how much the LR4 weighs, or how fast it stops, 12K miles shouldn't be considered acceptable for pad life IMO. Just my $.02, and now I'm done with this topic, since my LR4 has only about 1200 miles on it. I'll bring it back up when I need brakes. :biggrin:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Count,

I appreciate the insight. I know you and I have posted about it before. It is total sticker shock to me, and I am just not used to that type of interval. My Audis and Lexus vehicles have fared way better than this. I guess it really comes down to, I don't get $150 of enjoyment out of my brakes every month. Yes, I know I have to have them and they serve a extreemly valuable function, but that is more than I put in for gas each month. I get way more enjoyment out of the gas pedal.

Rob

Love this Rob: I get way more enjoyment out of the gas pedal.

Well, for any folks who are inclined, pads are actually really easy to replace on Land Rovers. They're designed to be easy - for those folks crossing the deserts of Africa and need to replace on the fly. And I'm sure there are better pad compounds out there that would fair better than LRs... but I just don't know if that's factual or not. I agree it's a step cost. I am curious of how long mine will last, I have only 5,000 miles or so on my LR4... and live in San Francisco with the crazy hills... so it'll be interesting. And I wonder what my wife will say when we get a bill of $1700 plus for replacement.

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told about 600 for front rotors and pads only.....buybrakes.com posted on here before and had some good rotor options and was working on some different pads......

There is a tsb for the range rovers For brake pulsing , that calls for new rotor which is tougher than the original and pad replacement, maby if enough lr4 owners complAin they will be included in the tsb, at least there is a tougher rotor In existence, so maybe with it replaced, you will only need new pads the next time around, or go with the buy brakes.com cryogenic hardened rotor and it will last. Long long time

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told about 600 for front rotors and pads only.....buybrakes.com posted on here before and had some good rotor options and was working on some different pads......

There is a tsb for the range rovers For brake pulsing , that calls for new rotor which is tougher than the original and pad replacement, maby if enough lr4 owners complAin they will be included in the tsb, at least there is a tougher rotor In existence, so maybe with it replaced, you will only need new pads the next time around, or go with the buy brakes.com cryogenic hardened rotor and it will last. Long long time

You recommend the cryogenic hardened rotors? I see them on the website for $142 for the front which is definetely cheaper than the dealer and if it lasts longer this is a no-brainer!

p-dawger

Reaction score
Right about 23k - pads are about half done.

FWIW - if you can change a light bulb, you can change your brake pads (and rotors for that matter)

There is nothing done during a "brake job" other than bolting on new parts - takes about 15 minutes per wheel.

If you are all about flushing brake fluid etc...you need test book and you need the dealer. I would not bother doing anythign with fluid until you hit the 50k mark.

No need to replace the rotors unless 1:) they are pulsing bad (in which case you or some other monkey overtightened your wheels) Torque is key for rotor trueness. 2.) the lip will not pass inspection (in your state, specs vary)

Also - do not waste your money on any other aftermarket parts....OEM OEM OEM....designed, built and tested with your vehicle.

Brakes and a brake job are in the category of bulb replacement, fluid checks etc.

Do not, pay a dealer ridiculous markups on prices either, then on top of a "brake job" to bolt on your high price parts.

p-dawger

Reaction score
Also - real prices....those paying 1700 plus for a brake job...you are getting taken for a ride. And should have asked for a ******** also.

Like I said if you can replace a light bulb you can give yourself a gen-u-wine "brake job"

OEM Land Rover brake parts:

Front rotors $104 X 2 = $208
Front Pads $151

Rear Rotors $81X2 = 162
Rear Pads $ 114

These are prices from an online LR dealer - $635 and 15 minutes later(per wheel) you got your fancy LR brake job.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99