Lr4 Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been a while since I posted but.....

I have no idea how some people on this board are getting so much life out of their brakes - I'm at 26k miles on my 2011 LR4 and probably heading pretty soon toward my second set of front and rear brake pads and rotors. It was recommended (although not required) by both the dealer and a local shop to change out the rotors as well each time I change the pads (something about them not being able to cut the rotors like they do on domestic cars due to the 'lip' that forms), although I'm thinking of trying to change just the pads this time around, since that will save me about $600 in parts and labor. Thoughts/suggestions?

I just felt I needed to follow up. After seeing more and more references to having to replace brakes more frequently, it's really got me wondering what the issue is. It must be driving styles, traffic patterns (jams, etc.)., and possibly towing habits if any. Several months ago, I literally got into an argument with another poster here about whether or not he was full of BS when he insisted LR4 breaks only last 10k to 12K miles. When I told him my experience with our 2010 LR4, he basically in turn told me I'm nuts and that brakes just don't last that long (on any vehicle). Here's the reality of my situation. Our 2010 LR4 LUX/PLUS is not used for towing but I have a larger family and we load our LR4 down regularly. I live in a moderately congested area, with some traffic congestion during rush hour. We do a mix of about 50/50 from hwy to city. Our LR4 has 38k miles on it now, and we did replace the rear brakes at 25K (within 1K of 25K if memory serves me correctly). At that time, we had our vehicle in for it's annual check up (2nd year). They said we had a "little" life left in the rears, but not much. They recommended I get them done while they had the vehicle, and they included a 10% discount off their service fee. I think it was around $630 or so after tax and so on. They said the front's were "excellent" still, so we did nothing. I recently had to take our vehicle in for a warranty fix (small plastic surround for the license plate illumination shroud). At that time I had them check my front brakes again and they came back and said my fronts were at 5.5mm and my rears were at 6mm. They said that was still within good working tolerances. Why that is important to me, is that our LR4 is leased and I'm not sure if we are going to be buying it out, or turning it in and getting another (or a RRS, or pre-owned, certified RR). Before I sink $1k or more (possibly might need tires at that time too), I'm going to figure out if I'm keeping it. That date (July 20th) is approaching rapidly. Bottom line is that I'll probably have around 42K/43K miles on her at that time, and I doubt I'll have to have preformed any additional brake work prior to that time. While I think the breaks on the LR4 have to work pretty hard to stop the 6k pound beast with authority, I feel like they are engineered correctly and that I've personally got my moneys worth out of them. Sorry for the long speech, but it's my experience so far, and one that has me pretty satisfied.

What does seem odd to me is that the rears seem to wear out more then the fronts. I always thought that the front brakes do the "lions share" of the work in stopping a vehicle. Must not me true for the LR4.

Cheers,

Joe

mattypV50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been told, at least on my Volvo, that the rear brakes engage first to prevent the vehicle from nose diving. I'm not sure if this applies to Land Rover's but could explain why they wear out first.

AceRider

Reaction score
I think if you come from a sedan/smaller car and bring your old driving habits with you, you are sure to wear out the brakes on the LR4 quickly. I amy by no means an aggressive driver, but I find that the LR4 does not want to stop and requires me to be more aggressive on the brakes.

I have started slowing earlier and applying brakes sooner so I don't have to jam them last second to avoid passing stop lines.

This is a heavy car, I can feel it very well when braking.

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, but.....

I think if you come from a sedan/smaller car and bring your old driving habits with you, you are sure to wear out the brakes on the LR4 quickly. I amy by no means an aggressive driver, but I find that the LR4 does not want to stop and requires me to be more aggressive on the brakes.

I have started slowing earlier and applying brakes sooner so I don't have to jam them last second to avoid passing stop lines.

This is a heavy car, I can feel it very well when braking.

After having a full size 2001 Yukon XL, a 2004 Lincoln Navigator, and an 07 BMW X5 as our family's last couple rounds of SUV's, I don't think the LR4 was / is more difficult or takes more time to stop then those vehicles. Maybe the BMW was a bit more quick to respond while stopping (distance wise), but I wore out those brakes at about 42K miles (which BMW replaced as part of their maintenance included package).

Joe

AceRider

Reaction score
I notice a big difference coming from a small sedan. It stops, but nothing like a smaller car.

How long did your brakes last on the other big cars? Is the 15k number I've read over and over in this thread normal?

My CBO checklist indicates pads at 9mm on front , 8mm on rear, and discs are 85% front, 90% rear (I assume the % is what's left, not what's worn?). I'm at 12k miles.

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience

I notice a big difference coming from a small sedan. It stops, but nothing like a smaller car.

How long did your brakes last on the other big cars? Is the 15k number I've read over and over in this thread normal?

My CBO checklist indicates pads at 9mm on front , 8mm on rear, and discs are 85% front, 90% rear (I assume the % is what's left, not what's worn?). I'm at 12k miles.

We lease our vehicles, and rarely keep anything into or much over 50K miles. The only two vehicles I have had to have any brake work done (SUV's) have been the 07 BMW X5 and the 2010 LR4. The BMW in the low 40K miles, and the LR4 (rears at approx. 25K miles). The fronts are still original / from new and we have about 38K miles now. I'm hoping we get in the low 40's prior to having to have the fronts done.

For what it's worth, I had an 03 Infiniti G35x that I had to do the front breaks at about 40K miles. Never had to touch the rears and got rid of the car at about 60K miles.

Joe

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bedding your brakes properly also extends the life quite a bit... I do it on every car I've owned and for 80% of them it's helped greatly. Most people buy new cars and brake like they've never braked before. And that will cause early wear/rotor warp-age.

My LR4 had 27,000 miles on it and rotors were original.

Replaced rear brake pads once.

Replaced front brakes pad once.

When I traded the truck in the brakes were great, but rotors will likely need to be replaced to give it a new ride feel... although there was plenty of love left.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR4 is heavy and despite that has VERY good braking performance. The way to achieve that is by having aggressive pads. So if you use the LR4 brakes to their full extent, I am sure they will wear quicker than other lighter vehicles in its class.

Brakes are a simple and fun DIY. Parts are not cheap, but what's a few hundred dollars every 20-40k miles on this car? I can see how paying $1500+ for a full brake job can get old to many people.

Luckily I don't worry about that. Plus soon I'll have a garage with a 2-post lift, so working on my cars will be even more fun.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR4 is heavy and despite that has VERY good braking performance. The way to achieve that is by having aggressive pads. So if you use the LR4 brakes to their full extent, I am sure they will wear quicker than other lighter vehicles in its class.

Brakes are a simple and fun DIY. Parts are not cheap, but what's a few hundred dollars every 20-40k miles on this car? I can see how paying $1500+ for a full brake job can get old to many people.

Luckily I don't worry about that. Plus soon I'll have a garage with a 2-post lift, so working on my cars will be even more fun.

Do you by any chance know of a good pad, that doesn't create so much brake dust? I can't keep cleaning my wheels every week... it's killing me. haha

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo