LR4 - Coolant Under Pressure When Cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoverTide

Reaction score
head gasket... sorry to be the bearer of bad news. these are all just classic bad head gasket symptoms. I believe you can buy a tester kit to put on top of the expansion tank and it will turn a fluid a certain color if there are exhaust gasses in the coolant. thats the first thing I would do, but others might have better advice.

the white smoke out of the exhaust is normally a key indicator.
The results are in... exhaust gas test turned yellow pretty quick. I'm not happy. Looking for next steps to determine solution. I assume a compression test is in order, but hoping you guys can help me get a game plan together, as i may be out of my league on this one.

Attachments

• 20240505_162359.jpg
    20240505_162359.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 8

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The results are in... exhaust gas test turned yellow pretty quick. I'm not happy. Looking for next steps to determine solution. I assume a compression test is in order, but hoping you guys can help me get a game plan together, as i may be out of my league on this one.

I’m really sorry about the news. That’s super unfortunate to hear. Did you ever notice any over heating issues?

RoverTide

Reaction score
I’m really sorry about the news. That’s super unfortunate to hear. Did you ever notice any over heating issues?
Yeah... I had a feeling this might happen at some point, but was hoping to get a few more years out of it before I put it out to pasture. Its such a beautiful vehicle. It never over-heated on me, always ran great. However, I bought it knowing it previously had an engine failure, which was most likely caused by coolant loss and resulted in an overheat. Engine was repaired with one new head, timing chains, cooling system parts, catalytic converters, etc. I knew it was a gamble... and, ultimately, it didn't work out. Win some, lose some.

If I had more space, I would park it and tear down the engine to see if it could be saved, but I am most likely going to have to get rid of it as-is. Not interested in spending $20-30k on a new engine. Trying to research options now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112