LR4 Halogen Bulb Upgrading - Highly Recommended

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh very interesting, I will look to the manual for this. Thank you!
Hey LR4Buckeye,

Just a few notes from my experience to add to George's comments...

1) You have to snap the body-colored fog light cap off, which was a little tricky at first. You will feel a little groove at the top of the fog light cap, then you use your finger to push in and then pop it off with firm / even pressure. You will not be able to fit more than just the tip of your finger in the groove.

2) Once the fog light caps are off, then I STRONGLY recommend you take some painter's tape or masking tape to tape up the holes before taking out the screws. You will see what I mean once you get the fog cap off. Basically I say this because there are holes where you could lose the screws easily and then they seem to go into the front bumper somewhere. I actually lost a fog cap clip in there and tried for 30 minutes to find it with no luck. Thus, tape up the holes so you don't lose the screws.

3) Once you tape up the holes, then you need to remove 3 screws (even though there are 4 holes). These are hexagonal (star) screws, not standard or philip's head. You will need a hexagonal screw driver that is a little longer since it's a tight space and it helps if it's magnetized at the end to hold the screw. You will see it's a rather tight space.

4) After you get the screws off (and put them in order) you can pull out the bulb unit and then unclip it and remove it completely. The bulb is really easy to install, just make sure you do not touch it at all.

5) Re-clip it back in place and then I tested it just to make sure it worked. Once it's clipped back in, then put the screws back in the order you took them out. Make sure you put them all back with even tightening. Once the unit is screwed back in place firmly, then you just pop the fight light cover back on and you are done!

Drop me a DM or post on here if you have any other questions or run into an issue.

Best of luck!

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep an alcohol swab with me in case I accidentally touch the bulb so I can wipe it down. I've heard the cotton glove idea but I can never find them... Do you think rubber gloves are ok to use?

Finlayforprez:
So I did end up exchanging the damaged bulbs for new ones and they came on Saturday (I love amazon, they are so fast). I think I'm going to change the bulbs tonight I just have one question about the fogs; once the entire headlight unit is off will I be able to access the fogs below? I'm guessing it will be obvious once the headlight unit is completely off but I'm not sure?

Thanks for your help guys,

Dan
PS....

I used a latex glove but handled the bulb with my finger wrapped in a dust-free microfiber cloth. You will see that it is relatively easy to not touch the bulb because you handle the base of the bulb. Just use a latex glove and hold the bulb in a small microfiber cloth.

Best of luck!

LR4Buckeye

Reaction score
Hey LR4Buckeye,

Just a few notes from my experience to add to George's comments...

1) You have to snap the body-colored fog light cap off, which was a little tricky at first. You will feel a little groove at the top of the fog light cap, then you use your finger to push in and then pop it off with firm / even pressure. You will not be able to fit more than just the tip of your finger in the groove.

2) Once the fog light caps are off, then I STRONGLY recommend you take some painter's tape or masking tape to tape up the holes before taking out the screws. You will see what I mean once you get the fog cap off. Basically I say this because there are holes where you could lose the screws easily and then they seem to go into the front bumper somewhere. I actually lost a fog cap clip in there and tried for 30 minutes to find it with no luck. Thus, tape up the holes so you don't lose the screws.

3) Once you tape up the holes, then you need to remove 3 screws (even though there are 4 holes). These are hexagonal (star) screws, not standard or philip's head. You will need a hexagonal screw driver that is a little longer since it's a tight space and it helps if it's magnetized at the end to hold the screw. You will see it's a rather tight space.

4) After you get the screws off (and put them in order) you can pull out the bulb unit and then unclip it and remove it completely. The bulb is really easy to install, just make sure you do not touch it at all.

5) Re-clip it back in place and then I tested it just to make sure it worked. Once it's clipped back in, then put the screws back in the order you took them out. Make sure you put them all back with even tightening. Once the unit is screwed back in place firmly, then you just pop the fight light cover back on and you are done!

Drop me a DM or post on here if you have any other questions or run into an issue.

Best of luck!

-David

PS....

I used a latex glove but handled the bulb with my finger wrapped in a dust-free microfiber cloth. You will see that it is relatively easy to not touch the bulb because you handle the base of the bulb. Just use a latex glove and hold the bulb in a small microfiber cloth.

Best of luck!

Thanks again for the tips... I'll let you guys know how it all goes.

Dan

LR4Buckeye

Reaction score
So last night I switched out all 6 bulbs for CV's. It was pretty easy because I was well prepared by this thread, so thanks again.

The only tip I think I can add to this thread, and this might go without saying but I only realized it until after putting in the first H11 bulb is that it makes a lot more sense to unplug the harness, replace the bulb, then put the harness back on. Trying to put the bulb back in with the harness on, restricts space and the angle you put the bulb back in. I scratched one of the bulbs that way. Its the only one I scratched so we'll see whether it prematurely burns out, or another bulb beats it to the punch.

At $30 a pair I'm not too worried, oh and the mod is definitively worth it. They may not be as bright as HID's but they look very close to them, and in the fog application look a lot better than the yellow stock halogens.

Thanks again,

Dan

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So last night I switched out all 6 bulbs for CV's. It was pretty easy because I was well prepared by this thread, so thanks again.

The only tip I think I can add to this thread, and this might go without saying but I only realized it until after putting in the first H11 bulb is that it makes a lot more sense to unplug the harness, replace the bulb, then put the harness back on. Trying to put the bulb back in with the harness on, restricts space and the angle you put the bulb back in. I scratched one of the bulbs that way. Its the only one I scratched so we'll see whether it prematurely burns out, or another bulb beats it to the punch.

At $30 a pair I'm not too worried, oh and the mod is definitively worth it. They may not be as bright as HID's but they look very close to them, and in the fog application look a lot better than the yellow stock halogens.

Thanks again,

Dan
Hey Dan,

I'm glad it went well and we could be of help. It's really worth the money! Are you doing any other modifications to your LR4?

-David

LR4Buckeye

Reaction score
Hey Dan,

I'm glad it went well and we could be of help. It's really worth the money! Are you doing any other modifications to your LR4?

-David

I am actually getting my 2 front windows tinted tomorrow and need to research what percentage comes from the factory. I just did a search and didn't really find much. My guy said that Land Rovers and Range Rovers come with 20%, but that seems a little dark to me and I wanted to make sure.

I am also thinking about the LR mud flaps, but not sure if I love the way they look, gotta research that too. Other then that I just plan on waxing it with Zaino next week.

So far I have torqued the wheels to 103 lb ft to prevent rotor warp. Hardwired my Valentine One, and done the bulb conversion. I should be good for a while...

Dan

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fellow well-lit LR4 owners,

Well, I too wanted the LED side marker upgrade. So I ordered the appropriate kit…only to discover that indeed, those 2010 LR4 owners with the HSE-Lux have a blank in the side marker lights. Which then begs the question: Does anyone know the part number for the side marker bulb holder/assembly?

I am guessing I can install the socket into the empty blanks, plug into the existing wiring, and then reprogram the computer to run those lights with my fog lights. If not, making use of those empty sockets will require a relay and a bit of wiring to place it in parallel with my fog lights.

Naturally, I am going to try to replace the fog lights as well. But that will have to wait until fall.

Land Rover Joe

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am actually getting my 2 front windows tinted tomorrow and need to research what percentage comes from the factory. I just did a search and didn't really find much. My guy said that Land Rovers and Range Rovers come with 20%, but that seems a little dark to me and I wanted to make sure.

I am also thinking about the LR mud flaps, but not sure if I love the way they look, gotta research that too. Other then that I just plan on waxing it with Zaino next week.

So far I have torqued the wheels to 103 lb ft to prevent rotor warp. Hardwired my Valentine One, and done the bulb conversion. I should be good for a while...

Dan
I want to torque the wheels, but have no idea where to start.

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Post. Awesome thread, and this thread was responsible for our purchase of an '11 LR4 HSE "Black Metropolis" car over Memorial Day Weekend. Living in Park City Utah, we own an LR3 and swear by xenon lights. We put 30-35k on the car per year commuting to Salt Lake, and deer are always a problem. Halogens just don't cut it...

My wife fell in love with the new "Black Metropolis" car and wanted to upgrade. The only thing holding us back was that it doesn't come with Xenons!!!! (Not sure why). This thread convinced my wife to buy the car, and I just ordered the bulbs from Amazon.

Can't wait to do the install. I am a huge car/web forum guy (Porsche) and was excited to find this Rover forum.

Thanks!
-Blake ;)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Post. Awesome thread, and this thread was responsible for our purchase of an '11 LR4 HSE "Black Metropolis" car over Memorial Day Weekend. Living in Park City Utah, we own an LR3 and swear by xenon lights. We put 30-35k on the car per year commuting to Salt Lake, and deer are always a problem. Halogens just don't cut it...

My wife fell in love with the new "Black Metropolis" car and wanted to upgrade. The only thing holding us back was that it doesn't come with Xenons!!!! (Not sure why). This thread convinced my wife to buy the car, and I just ordered the bulbs from Amazon.

Can't wait to do the install. I am a huge car/web forum guy (Porsche) and was excited to find this Rover forum.

Thanks!
-Blake ;)
Welcome, Blake!

Congratulations on your new LR4. I think you will be very happy with the lighting upgrades. The visibility is awesome when you have the low beams and fog lights on at the same time. We can't wait to see pictures!

Regards, David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak