LR4-sized Cargo Boxes for Camping Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Planning to do some road trip/camping this Summer once my LR4 arrives. I'd like to get a couple of strong cargo boxes to pack my camping gear. Something that is strong enough that I could use it as a seat in the tent or as a step stool. Something that would fit alongside either of the 3rd row seats when the other is down. And something that is "stackable" should I get two.

Anyone have something they like? I don't really need lockable. And I don't need the padding/cushioning that comes with the Pelican cases.

I plan to use one of those tents that attaches to the back of an SUV so I can sleep in the LR4 and move my gear (including these cargo boxes) into the tent.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a lot of pelican cases (large) because they are also waterproof and fit most of your criteria. You can strap them to a roof rack or use a mounting system.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a lot of pelican cases (large) because they are also waterproof and fit most of your criteria. You can strap them to a roof rack or use a mounting system.
I have two huge Pelican boxes that I use all the time. In fact, I have one of them on my rack permanent and room for the second.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you using straps or that mount that Brady was testing out? Curious how that thing works.

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about this?

www.stowaway2.com

I know it's not inside, but it keeps the inside clear to sleep in if needed!

Someone on here's Range Rover is pictured with one.

jbrincks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Planning to do some road trip/camping this Summer once my LR4 arrives. I'd like to get a couple of strong cargo boxes to pack my camping gear. Something that is strong enough that I could use it as a seat in the tent or as a step stool. Something that would fit alongside either of the 3rd row seats when the other is down. And something that is "stackable" should I get two.

Anyone have something they like? I don't really need lockable. And I don't need the padding/cushioning that comes with the Pelican cases.

I plan to use one of those tents that attaches to the back of an SUV so I can sleep in the LR4 and move my gear (including these cargo boxes) into the tent.

I use one similar to this. Picked it up from Home Depot. It's not water proof put will fit long ways with one of the third row seats up. It's also sturdy enough to sit on. Probably stand on also but haven't tried. I believe it was about $40 - $50.

Attachments

• $_72.JPG
    $_72.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 39

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use one similar to this. Picked it up from Home Depot. It's not water proof put will fit long ways with one of the third row seats up. It's also sturdy enough to sit on. Probably stand on also but haven't tried. I believe it was about $40 - $50.

Thanks, jbrinks! That is probably exactly what I want for inside the back of the truck. That one doesn't really need to be waterproof as I have other options for on top. And it looks more comfortable to sit on in the tent than some of the others. ;-)

I think I may also get a Pelican case or something similar that is waterproof and that I can put on top; but not permanently as David does. At this point my "rack" will only be Thule crossbars and a basket that I can take off and stuff in the back of the truck when I need to drive lots of freeway miles.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about this?

www.stowaway2.com

I know it's not inside, but it keeps the inside clear to sleep in if needed!

Someone on here's Range Rover is pictured with one.

Thanks, but I don't mind having it in the back of the truck provided that it is small enough and not overloaded so I can pull it out. Keeping everything in the truck allowed me to attach my bike rack, makes it easier to setup the SUV-tent and there will be times in the future when I'll be pulling a travel trailer. But I can see that, if I had kids/people/pets/whatever it would be good to have the storage on the outside.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two huge Pelican boxes that I use all the time. In fact, I have one of them on my rack permanent and room for the second.

Thanks, David. I will likely go with at least one Pelican case or something similar.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you using straps or that mount that Brady was testing out? Curious how that thing works.
Right now straps and some mounts, but going to be creating a mounting system like Brady at ExPo uses at some point. It's on my list! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM