MAF and SES light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash

Reaction score
I have read a number of the posts regarding fault codes P0171 and P0174. The answer is clean and or replace the MAF unit. I have just cleaned mine and will take it for a run tomorrow. If I need to I will order a new MAF.

I have had this code a few times this summer and each time it has followed a fill with a particluar brand that is always cheaper by 10 -12 cents per litre and the stations are on the way to our fishing camp. It is the requisate premium gas and virtually every time the SES light is on within an hour or so after a fillup. On one trip it went out on its own after filling a very empty gas tank at another station. Is this just a coincidence??? Logically funky gas cannot affect the MAF but can it generate the identified codes?

This last time a new code P0734 was present - I take it this is related to the tranny but is a function of the other two codes or a separate indicator of a problem? If it is a separate issue what does the code indicate.

Any help would be appreciated!

C

raymor

Reaction score
Might help everyone here if you gave the model and year of the vehicle you have.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, that Bosch MAF doesn't take to being cleaned, that will usually always **** it.
Second, with the 734 code now in there, you do have a dead MAF which must be replaced with another Bosch MAF with matching part numbers. An after market or generic MAF will not work, go to British Parts of Utah for the correct MAF at a fair price.

crash

Reaction score
My apologies abouyt the vehicle ID. I thought I had it in my profile. It is a 2000 Disco II.
A new MAF it is!

crash

Reaction score
Is this a simple swap then??

Does anything need to be "reprogrammed? Other that the SES light?

C

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem, just make sure you buy the correct MAF and don't try and save money buying something else, cause it will fail right out of the box.

crash

Reaction score
New MAF installed. Was in a bit of a rush to get away tomorrow so I paid a premium.

About a 7 hour drive tomorrow - time will tell if the light comes back!

Off on a fishing trip to North Eastern Ontario.

Will update on my return.

Thanks to all.

C

hawkster

Reaction score
I almost forgot, please ensure your airfilter and airbox is clean. Also remove all dust from the plastic tube that connects to the MAF or you'll be back in this same situation. Have a safe trip. - Rob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo