Maintenace cost after warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Y

yanr

This should be a question that no current LR3 owner should have experienced yet unless you did a few cross country trips since the car came out.

Since I have never owned a LR, what are some general maintenace after the warranty like ?

For example, changing timing belt (btw, does LR , particular the LR3needs timing belt change?)

Replacing water pump?

Or simply just changing all four brake pads and rotors?

Cheers . .

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask your local dealer. Prices vary greatly depending on the market. Really. Around here, it's not cheap...

Read your "Passport to Service" for basic details on what is required for maintenance.

R

roverdawg

yanr said:
This should be a question that no current LR3 owner should have experienced yet unless you did a few cross country trips since the car came out. Since I have never owned a LR, what are some general maintenace after the warranty like ? For example, changing timing belt (btw, does LR , particular the LR3needs timing belt change?) Replacing water pump?
Or simply just changing all four brake pads and rotors?
Cheers . .

Grommet nailed it on the head. Parts and esp. labor on a Land Rover is very expensive. Before the LR3, I drove a 98' Disco and was fortunate to locate a guy who specialized in Land Rovers and had a great reputation. Still could get expensive but came in under what a dealer would charge. Best advice would be to search out who's the best non-dealer Rover mechanic in your area. Or, better yet, if you're still eligible snag an extended warranty. The best "option" that I purchased for my particular LR3 will likely be the extended warranty. I suspect that with all the work that's been done (just under the basic warranty) on my vehicle to date, the $ spent by LR has far exceeded any profit they made on the sale.

PS thought I might add that there is a potential roadblock to an independent mechanic due to the nature of the LR3's systems, at least for a couple of years. Maybe an extended warranty is a good insurance policy.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Houm_WA

Hey Dawg, how much was the extended warranty? What were the terms? Another 50k?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover doesn't offer it's own extended warranty -- dealers offer it through a 3rd party. Ask your dealer for quotes and details; they can vary.

R

roverdawg

Houm_WA said:
Hey Dawg, how much was the extended warranty? What were the terms? Another 50k?

Houm,

As I recall, I paid about $1900 to increase the warranty from the 4 year/50,000 mile to a 6 year/85,000 extended warranty. While at the time I felt I overpaid, it was probably a good move with the 1st year issues that I've encountered and the fact that I've put 20,000 miles on in the 1st year. If I sell in the next few years, the transferable extended warranty could help as well.

H

Houm_WA

dawg, the following may prove to be the dumbest question I ever post:

Is your scheduled maintenance covered through 85K miles or just warranty work?

R

roverdawg

Houm_WA said:
dawg, the following may prove to be the dumbest question I ever post:

Is your scheduled maintenance covered through 85K miles or just warranty work?

Houm,

No worries and no such thing as a stupid question when helping out fellow LR3'ers...

Scheduled maintenance is only covered through the first 4 years.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's technically the first 6 Scheduled Maintenance visits, which will be less than 4 years if you drive excessively.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99