Making the LR3 trail ready

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The beauty of it, IMO, is that these bad ass Rovers are still pretty much stock! Some tires, a few skid plates...that's about it! Even the "rod mod" is not much of a change since it uses slightly-modified factory parts and doesn't exceed the capacity of the stock EAS system.

Just goes to show that the LR3 was built to kick ass right out of the box!

LROffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The beauty of it, IMO, is that these bad ass Rovers are still pretty much stock! Some tires, a few skid plates...that's about it! Even the "rod mod" is not much of a change since it uses slightly-modified factory parts and doesn't exceed the capacity of the stock EAS system.

Just goes to show that the LR3 was built to kick ass right out of the box!

Aint that the truth!:dito:

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is pretty much stock, but plan to add a few items:

1. Skid Plates
2. Rock Sliders
3. *Adjustable Rods (Committed to buying it locally from local LR3 owner)
4. *Yaesu FT-2900R Ham Radio plus Antenna (Have it, waiting to be installed)
5. *GPS Antenna (Have it, waiting to be installed)
6. *Tablet mount with Custom Developed Software (Have it, waiting to be installed)
7. Front and Back light guards
8. Grille Guard (Brush guard)
9. Roof Rack
10. Viair 450p

Currently have Michelin LTX 265/60/R18 tires. (meh)

In glove compartment etc:
1. HD Video/Still Camera
2. Powerful LED Flashlight
3. Swiss Knife and dagger
4. USB Adapters
5. 400W 110v Inverter
6. Photography Tripods
7. First Aid Kit
8. Handy Toolbox
9. Wet Wipes
10. Pair of gloves
11. Recovery Strap

If anyone has used items that they want to get rid off and are on my list, please do not hesitate to ping me, as I am interested in buying those anyway, and deal is always a deal ;)

I will refer to this post as my TODO list. Thanks for starting this thread Houm_WA :)

Oh, if anyone has any ideas for useful off-road and on-road software requests please do let me know as I am developing it as we speak. I will be able to incorporate that stuff if possible.

Currently among other things, it will have searchable database regarding LR3's etc. Maps, media center, parts lists, parts docs, etc.etc....

Last edited:

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short list thus far . . . .

First mod: Tires, Nitto Grapplers
Second mod: Lights, LED fog/flood lights
Third mod: 30mm wheel spacers
Fourth mod: Front Runner rear ladder (not really a trail mod, but I couldn't reach the top)
Fifth mod: Toddco 2" spacer lift (en route)

Also carry a 12v air compressor (for airing back up after playing in the snow) assortment of recovery straps

On the list:

Sump guard
Sliders
Devon's discreet winch mount
32" (hoping for 33") Muds after the lift is installed and debugged

On the road, can't download pix, will post some when I get back home.

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geo,

Add in some recovery gear. Recovery strap, gloves, a couple shackles, ratchet straps, a shovel/pick

Fire extinguisher is always good.

My list:
Full rasta skid plates (front, engine, transmission, transfer case)
Tactical Rovers sliders (en route)
Tactical Rovers gas tank skid plate (en route)
IIDTool for software lift and fault clearing
18" wheels with BFG tires (265/65/18)
Custom RRC and Series/Defender mud flaps
Full recovery kit

Last edited:

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI on the GPS antenna: I 'temporarily' put mine behind the front map/reading lights (inside the sheet metal/above the headliner). The light just pulls down and snaps back into place. Tucked the wire around the windshield. Easy! It worked so well, I have never gotten around to moving it outside the vehicle. YMMV

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
morrisdl, I was thinking of putting the GPS antenna behind the second seat dome lights, since there is glass on top of that which has clear visibility even from inside. Wouldn't have to put it outside at all. Or even on top of third seats area where there is no dome lights and in the area between second and thrid sunroof. And then run the cable through B-Pillar trims, to floor and into the console area.

Last edited:

Trynian

Reaction score
morrisdl, I was thinking of putting the GPS antenna behind the second seat dome lights, since there is glass on top of that which has clear visibility even from inside. Wouldn't have to put it outside at all. Or even on top of third seats area where there is no dome lights and in the area between second and thrid sunroof. And then run the cable through B-Pillar trims, to floor and into the console area.

FYI, I tried to run my Garmin GPS antenna through the glass roof of the second row seats and it would not recieve well. Must be something with the tinting and thickness of the glass. It worked, just not as well as it does through the front windshield.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, I tried to run my Garmin GPS antenna through the glass roof of the second row seats and it would not recieve well. Must be something with the tinting and thickness of the glass. It worked, just not as well as it does through the front windshield.

When I initially mounted the Ham radio I was looking at through the glass antenna mounts. The local ham shop told me and I later proved that since about MY 2000 most auto manufacturers using tinted windows were impregnating the glass with some type of metal for solar purposes. At this point I do not not remember what exactly it is but I do remember verifying the rover glass as having it. Which also meant that style antenna mount would not work very well...

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Trynian for the heads up. In that case I will try the front windshield then.

ryan-in-oregon I guess I will put the GPS antenna in front, my HAM radio antenna is going outside on the roof of the car so that will be a non-issue.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90