Might be buying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E

evoldarnoc

Hey all-

My names Conrad, Im almost 18 and it has come time for me to get my first car. Ive always loved the Range Rover, but recently discovered what a nightmare the parts prices could be, and the other day I was driving home from school and saw a Discovery on the side of the road for sale. The two sunroofs pretty much seal the deal for me..haha. Its a 1999 with 90K and a warranty through 98K, price is $10,800. Im totally in love with it :) I was wondering how reliable these cars are and how much would you say they cost to run a year (Not including gas). Would it be better to hold out until a late-model (2000-2001) comes along? Ive been driving my mom's old car since shes gotten a new one, and it gets horrible gas mileage and if I were to keep it Id not only be looking at high insurance, but the parts can be pretty expensive. Should I switch to the Discovery II? I love the suv but is it worth it? Thanks so much in advance,

Conrad

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Conrad, you say the car you are driving now gets horrible gas mileage... Just curious as to what you think a Disco gets? (average between 12-16 mpg)

You also said that the price of parts for a Range Rover was a Nightmare.... well, the Land Rover "Discovery" is made by the same company as the Land Rover "Range Rover" and uses a lot of the same parts. It has the same engine (in most) same fun electrical issues.

Insurance will be a lot higher than just about any older car (exluding high $ sports cars)

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Conrad: Yes they are expensive to upkeep. Search through this BBS and see for yourself. If u can get an extended warranty @ all I would HIGHLY recommend doing so. Or if you are a good DIY mechanic then you should be ok. It might need brake pads as well, which run about 50-75, if u can do it yourself. Or looking at around 250-300 for a brake job. Good Luck. Melissa N

MPG are what Joey said. Sergei might argue that you can get up to 20mpg. I have never gotten that many..Maybe with a hurricane chasing you downhill all the way.. :biggrin:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Melissa - Argue? Me? Never.. :)

Conrad - unless you got job - dont buy it or any other vehicle. Get job, collect money and buy your own rig and do whatever you like to it. That way you know that you can take care of it.

I dont want to sound ****, but trust me - you will be happier that way.

First of all then you appreciate it more, and secondly - you dont have to deal with angry looks from parents if you gotta spend money on fixing things.

E

evoldarnoc

Hey thanks for all the responses.

The car Im driving now has a sticker of 13 City/20 Hwy, but its a sedan and Id feel better wasting all that gas knowing its a truck :)

I have a job and would be paying for the car entirely on my own, plus have set aside for this moment for the past few years, but are we looking at over one or two thousand dollars a year for repairs/maintance for this year? Im just trying to get an idea..I love the car

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, if its gonna be like that - then its cool :)

99 can be either D1 or D2. In either case you will get CDL, which is great help offroad and on road when traction sucks (aka snow/ice). If it comes with ACE (active cornering) package - you geting good deal (high miles but..). If not - price is a tad steep for truck with so many miles on it (normal use considered as 10-12K / year).

At this mileage truck gonna need:
- new O2 sensors (need 4 will run you about 500$)
- possibly new fuel pump (from 70$ to 200$, depending how you do it)
- possibly new waterpump (about 90$)
- possibly new cat converters (about 100-120$ + welding)
- defintely new ignition (wires, plugs) (from 50$ to 100$)
- possibly brakes (specially if its D2 ) (depends. New good rotors are about 150/axle from tire rack, pads about 50/axle. Plus mechanic's pay to do it)
- will need brake fluid flush
- it will need injector cleaning job (motorvac) - just for the heck of it...
- wheel bearing & hubs repacked
- possibly front shaft replacement (D2 front propeller shaft got non serviceable u-joints) . Depending on how its done - from 50$ for U-joint to 349$ for new shaft.

Just so you would have some prices to offset initial one against.

It may leak or not through lovely sunroofs and other weatherstriping.
It may have stuck or not CDL engaging lever. You got to try it in all 4 positions (4H, 4L and both of them locked and unlocked. While locked - drive in straight line. It should lit up lovely light as you engage CDL, and it should do it nearly right away. Same goes for disengaging. Gotta move a tad sometime (like meter or two)).

However, once its tuned up - it will run. Biggest money spending is to get it into shape where it runs how you like it. After that , if you do regular oil changes, keep eye on fluids, tire pressure and putting in proper octane grade fuel - it will cost you bugger all.

Good thing with rovers is that you can do most of service yourself. Makes up for good hobby :)

Militant-Grunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The worst thing you can ever do is getting a land rover as your first car. Low gas mileage, high expenses for repairs, and constant annoyances, dont even bother. Your much better off getting a used bmw. You can get a 328i or 328is for around 10-13k. You get plenty of power and a good solid engine that will run forever.

C

campbell

If you are buying the vehicle yourself, and are planning on going to college, I would not recommend the Disco 2. You will have too many women flaggin you down, and checking you out at stop lights. It's such a sweet looking vehicle they cannot resist. :cool:
That being said, the D2 is an expensive vehicle to repair. Some of the work that may need to be done on a D2 can only be performed using the TestBook. This is a $10K piece of equipment that the dealers have but very few local shops have. This requires you to go to the dealer and spend anywhere from $80-$130/hour for labor, depending on your location. Tac on parts to that and it can get expensive. I had the front driveshaft problems mentioned previously. After 5 months of frustration :argh: , I think I am finally vibration free. :biggrin:
Like Sergei said, if you get it running in top condition and perform regular maintenance you will have a reliable truck. If the vehicle needs some work, it will cost $$$. It's all relative though. Have I ever considered trading the D2 for a demestic SUV? Sure. Am I glad I didn't act on that impulse? You bet.
You've come to the right place for info though. If you do buy the vehicle, Land Rover World can be a life-saver as well as money saver.

A

ayavner

I'll second taht thought... so glad I joined this little group!

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you want to do with the truck? Why do you need/want something so big, so utilitarian, so unique?

If you're commuting back and forth from school, and the most use the truck will see is when you're moving things to or from school, then get a car and rent a U-Haul.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo