misfire - arc between ignition coils and metal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when it is foggy or misty upon start up I get misfires for the first several minutes -- until the engine has heated the engine compartment - hence removing the moisture -
I can visually see an arc between one particular coil pack (rave manual - section 19 pg 8 no. 2) and the metal rail upon which they sit. I cannot tell if it is coming from under the spark plug wire or a tiny ( i cant see one) crack in the plastic housing of the ignition coil.

what I have done:
- replace spark plug wires ( firmly seating each one - and re checking)

If the housing for a inginition pack is cracked - epoxy? ( can I take it apart)

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on the engine and what brand of wires did you install?

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
84000 miles and they were OEM duralast -
note - I had this issue prior to replacing the wires thought the wires would solve it -
the arc seems to be coming from either under the wire boot or a hairline crack in the ignition coil

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for a new coil and those Duralast wires won't last long, I would change them going either to a STI or a Magnacor 8 mm wire.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
84000 miles and they were OEM duralast -
note - I had this issue prior to replacing the wires thought the wires would solve it -
the arc seems to be coming from either under the wire boot or a hairline crack in the ignition coil

I don't know which duralast wires you've got, I had the $50 autozone silicones on for over
5yrs. --- still fine

Did your's have the di-electric grease in the boots?
(Helps prevent arcing)

Do you have an inspection mirror? (carbon tracking would be present with a crack)

An led flashight seems to show details better for me.

luck,greg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM