Mr

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJones

Reaction score
I was to go to work 2 days ago and suddenly the smart key will not open my LR4 2013. I used to emergency key entry, when I tried starting the engine, display message was, "smart key not found", I cranked the engine using the alternate starting system under the steering, since then, my smart key is still not functional. What do I do?

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was to go to work 2 days ago and suddenly the smart key will not open my LR4 2013. I used to emergency key entry, when I tried starting the engine, display message was, "smart key not found", I cranked the engine using the alternate starting system under the steering, since then, my smart key is still not functional. What do I do?

Change the battery...

Disco4Play

Reaction score
Already had this happen. Yes try and change your battery in the remote. Unfortunately that didn't help me out. However I was fortunate to get my truck started using the alternate start method. Once I got it started I drove it to my dealership. They found that there was a fault code in the computer and replaced the wireless module for the truck. There are recorded problems with this and if yours has failed take it in to get it fixed ASAP. Hope that helps!

DJones

Reaction score
Many thanks. I removed battery terminals as per instruction in the manual and reconnected back and my smart key started working again. So glad...

Disco4Play

Reaction score
You still may have an issue. There was a service bulletin issued on the wireless system.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Already had this happen. Yes try and change your battery in the remote. Unfortunately that didn't help me out. However I was fortunate to get my truck started using the alternate start method. Once I got it started I drove it to my dealership. They found that there was a fault code in the computer and replaced the wireless module for the truck. There are recorded problems with this and if yours has failed take it in to get it fixed ASAP. Hope that helps!

Just curious, what is the "alternate start method"?

I bought my LR4 here in the middle east and the entire Owner's Manual is in Arabic. The dealer said they dont carry English manuals and scoffed at the idea of ordering one for me!! Greedy bastards.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Place the fob flush against the steering column, there is a small area under the column to the right side (highlighted by 3 small plastic strips) with a transponder that detects the fob by direct contact, even if the fob has a dead battery.

Regarding manuals, you should be able to consult and print them for free in any language from the Owners link on landroverusa.com, and even order a set of original manuals (for a price) through JLR's Webshop, without going through a dealer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM