My Big Fat Costco fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not talking about the lift points. I'm talking about how the LR4 will extend the suspension down when it thinks it's high-centered. Maybe Costco doesn't think their lifts go high enough to accommodate?

But, re-reading what you wrote, maybe their lift can't reach the proper lift points? Who knows. Either way, they sound like morons.

their lifts couldn't accommodate the proper lift points without some extensions which they don't have is what they told me.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Costco near me uses small "tire shop" center post lifts (post on each side with two lift arms coming from each. ) I bet they don't have the lift or are freaked out when once lifted the wheels dance a little as the vehicle adjusts itself. Every time I buy tires at Costco I just bring in the wheels as I have two sets (summer/winter). It reduces problems.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a smaller indy tire shop as well that installs the lug nuts with a torque wrench. You don't want an air gun twisting the tin caps on the lug nuts.

Kari Hardarson

Reaction score
An air-suspension LR3 on a lift looks something like this:
Cat-crops.jpg

jrb1

Reaction score
Here's the skinny on Costco Guys -- it's my fault!

Got Michelins put on 2 years ago; and it was taking a very long time -- I asked what's going on; guy said man really hard getting the grease off!

LR says Anti Seize on the studs Costco says no. I pushed and pushed. Finally Costco agreed to pay my LR dealer to put the anti seize back on.

And, they've also paid LR to do any tire serving that's been required.

Also, telling me don't bring your LR back.

So even if the MFG says use Anti Seize, Costco won't -- they should tell you a head of time that we don't do anti seize even if MFG says yes.

To me Aluminum wheels on steel drums and studs means Anti Seize!

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just get tires shipped from TireRack direct to my mechanic.

His mounting fees are comparable (if it's a little more, it's worth it). He won't f*ck up the car, scratch my wheels, inflate to the wrong pressure, use old TPMS sensors, etc. etc. It's so worth it. Plus he will then rotate them free for life since he did the install. And do a underbody inspection at the same time to give me an honest evaluation of brakes and suspension that he'd be the one to maintain anyway,.

It's a no brainer, just find whatever tires you want online these days and ship them to someone you trust.

I no longer take my vehicles to any of the discount Tire places. They are awful. The staff is usually techs who either don't give a sh*t or are right out of trade school. Your appointment runs long, they scratch wheels, they have f*cked up so many things in the past for me that it isn't worth the frustration in hopes that you have a good experience (once in a while you do).

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the air suspension / lift comment, I think this was an old issue with the Discoverys (not the new ones). Wasn't there an issue on those vehicles that if you put them on a lift without setting the vehicle in a proper mode, the air bags could pull right out of the cans?

Not an issue with the LR3/LR4. You can put them on any lift as far as I've been told.

Still, I agree with the OP. If the tech doesn't think they can do it, don't let them do it. Not worth it.

Dirtygas

Reaction score
About 10 years ago my local garage - not the LR dealer - managed to drop my D2 off the lift when it was in for some work. Significant body damage. They never did it again, though. Inexperienced young lad, I guess.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72