My driving habit. Is it good or bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I wait at the light, I often put the gear to N position and someone recently mentioned that it's not good for a car. To me, if I leave it at D and brake while parked, it's like Heat on passanger side and AC on driver side at the same time - not efficient.

Is my habit good or am I hurting my LR3? This might be one of those stupid question but not being a mechanic, I had to ask..... - Brian

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While it has to be better than what I do...

Shift to SPORT mode,
foot on the brake,
get the RPMs up so I can release the brake and floor it when the light changes!!!!
:)

just kidding. I don't know, but I'm sure somebody here will. I do always drive in Sport mode, though. The acceleration from stop is just annoyingly sluggish to me in anything but Sport mode...in which case its fine.

DonA

Reaction score
I recall reading in the LR3 owners manual, a recommendation of placing the trans in neutral at stops like you describe to help conserve fuel.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't hurt anything, but it might make you look a bit foolish if you forget to pop it back into gear :)

I typically slip it into neutral when waiting for trains and stuff, but not at lights. I'm always defensively looking into my mirror for that yahoo who fails to slow down or stop for the light. I want to be able to pull out of harms way RIGHT NOW if I need to.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112