My front breaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had mine released this week, front and back $450.00.
This was at an LR specialty shop but not a dealer. The dealer here charges $1300.00 for a brake job, unbelievable.

They changed the pads and turned the rotors, they say there is NO reason to replaced rotors on every brake job…

05LR3AZ

Reaction score
Ouch, probably list price under the worst circumstances (new rotors, sensors, etc.). This topic has been brought up before but search for another independent LR dealer or ask your dealer to bring down his price. Sounds 40% high to me.

05LR3AZ

Reaction score
Just had mine released this week, front and back $450.00.
This was at an LR specialty shop but not a dealer. The dealer here charges $1300.00 for a brake job, unbelievable.

They changed the pads and turned the rotors, they say there is NO reason to replaced rotors on every brake job…

If there was no reason to replace the rotors it looks as though your dealer had included that in his price. That sucks! My LR dealer had done mine for $900 otd front and rear new rotors (it needed it), sensors and pads. There should be a list on this forum of best places (including LR dealers or independent) for certain work to be done including parts, accessories, etc. :albertein

dry_fly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had great success using a local repair shop which specializes in european cars. They charged me $400 for new pads all around which i found very reasonable, but I do take all my cars there for service. As with any service orientated business, some places are better than others; as you will even find between LR Dealers. Thorough research ahead of time pays off in the end. Good Luck!

Last edited:

mjm029

Reaction score
I know this question has already been asked in a previous thread but I wanted to know at what point the rotors have to be changed? I was just skimming and may have missed the answer but I am at the stage where I do not trust my dealership. I am going to challenge the job myself (I have a mechanic friend on call) I will probably order pads, rotors and sensors and if I do need them this time them will always come in handy down the line.

Is there any new thoughts on OEM vs. after market? I am happy to upgrade and go for OEM but I like to hear as many different opinions as possible. Mustbeaudio, good job on the detailed brake change. My next question was going to be the tools required but now I am good to go on that one.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put a good straight edge on the rotor and look for warping. Also if yo get vibration while braking that is a sign of warping

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I posted specs before, but rotors also wear down over time and then require replacement. Requires a micrometer to measure, but I bet it takes a while to get there naturally.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4