my Land Rover Discovery is sick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kpowel

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a Land Rover Discovery (99) owner. I've always loved this car.
Let me just get to my serious problem. She (the truck land rover) won't go into gear, the shift is locked. I can't move her into drive, reverse, she won't come out of park. Now she will start up. I went and got a inspection and when I returned home she was out of commission. Does anyone know what could be wrong with my baby and how much this will cost me to fix her.

Very sad Land Rover owner.
kpowel

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the brake switch is bad... it will unlock the shifter, but it it has gone bad not only will your brake lights not work, but it will not shift out of park.

kpowel

Reaction score
actually the anti lock brack light comes on when I start the car up. is there anyway I can check the brack switch myself. do you know any mechanics on the Long Island, NY area.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Anti lock light will always come on when you start it... should go off if all is well after 5 - 10 mph. If it doesn't go off, then other issues may be present.

search the Disco section on brake switch.... you should find a fix/trouble shooting advise.

kpowel

Reaction score
ok i'm new at this where is the brake switch. someone also told me it may be the computer and it locked up the system. I also heard something about the transmission

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Brake switch is a pressure switch just off of the brake peddle, just climb under and look for the switch that should contact the peddle as soon as you press the brake.

kpowel

Reaction score
can't shift into gears

so I had the brake switch replaced and $64.00 later no luck. Do you have anymore ideas or should I just take it to the dealer. right now the my babe has 104,000 miles on it. I was thinking about getting the LR2 -- what do you think.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
have someone check to see if the brake lights are coming on when you press them... if not you could have a blown fuse.

could also be the lock on the shifter is just broke... remove the cover and remove the lock... kind of a pain, but I am sure you will see it and figure it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM