My take on my new LR4, after trading in Lexus LX570

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought new LR4 HSE PLUS, with $4000 off msrp. Got rid of my Lexus LX 570 2008.

I am sort of scared about the reliability of the LR, especially leaving Lexus and its awesome reliability.

Obviously, the LR has great, if not better, off road capability than the LX.
It is more fun to drive the LR than the LX. Its more sportier to drive and has more of a sport type drive--where as the LX has more of a cushion luxury ride--however, the LX has 3 different suspension settings to drive.

I must say i am surprised just how much i love the LR. It has great acceleration. It shifts smoothly. Has a nicer look than the LX. Best of all, it costs a ton less than the LX 570.

I was spooked by the lack of a solid cover over the sunroofs and allowing too much sunlight and heat in....im happy to say that this has not been a problem as of yet.

The windshield has the wires in it which are easy enough to get used to, but during the night there really is a glare that takes some more getting used to. Sort of a goofy thing really--i have never seen it on any other car or suv.

For whatever reason AM reception is very spotty...always coming in and out--my LX never did this ever.

I love my ipod interface...LX had nothing like this so its very nice to have one.

One BIG problem i have is bluetooth phone. On my lexus there were 15 favorites to choose from...all i did was hit favorites than click on my person to call......the LR has a very poor interface to make quick phone calls...you must choose from the phonebook itself more or less...not nearly as nice as the LX. The LX also has a nicer and larger nav screen with more detailed information than the LR.

All in all, i am happier with my LR than the LX. I have more fun driving it and it fits my personality better--plus im saving a lot of money!!

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting...

I am a former Lexus owner, traded in 07 GS350 AWD and got LR4. Also considered Lexus 2010 GX460 which was no contest to LR4 in just about every category except dealer service and reliability. But guess which one got recalled?

Glad you like your LR4 over LX.
My father in law is actually considering a 2010 LX. They don't like my LR4 because ride is too stiff for them. I actually get sea sickness when I ride in their current 07 GX470 :frown: They are in their late 60's, retired and all they wan is reliability and softest ride plus towing capacity to pull their trailer occationally.

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you with 100% certainty, the LX 570 gives a much more forgiving and cushion like ride compared to the LR. If they are interested in a used car, the LX 470 had an even more comfortable ride than the 570---due in part because of the LX470 lacking the low profile tires, and the LX570 lacking 4 comfort settings--the 570 only has three settings.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had considered getting the GX 460 prior to looking at the LR4. I really liked the GX, but what killed it for me is that rear barn (side hinged) door. Yuck!

The nav on the GX is far superior than the LR4, with the larger 9" screen, text to speech, etc. I didn't get to play with it a whole lot but I thought it seemed decent. The LR4 one seems antiquated. I also think the leather seats are nicer in the GX. Overall a more posh feel to the car.

But the LR4 wins out on off-road capability, which is ultimately what I'm looking for -- an off-road capable SUV. Plus the LR4 has a lot more personality than the Lexus GX, which imho is kind of blah. Too house-wifish, if that's a word.

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I.. but what killed it for me is that rear barn (side hinged) door.
The nav on the GX is far superior than the LR4, I also think the leather seats are nicer in the GX. Overall a more posh feel to the car.

Yep barn door. I hate it. Split door is so much more practical if you have kids especially. However, it would have been perfect if LR4 had automatic closure or at least power closure feature. It's so hard to close the top door.

Navigation on my LR4, while looks decent has proved to be usedless so far. I've tried to enter some popular POIs (National chain stores) but it never finds it. May be i have messed up settings.

Leather on LR4 could be nicer or worse then GX depending on which package you got. LR4 comes with two different grades and difference is very noticeable. I find the LR4 ebony premium winsol leather with contrasting stich nicer that lexus GX's semi aniline leather.

But main thing is GX lacks room. No headroom, no leg room, no cargo space, useless rear 3rd row seat which does nothing but take up the cargo space and no rear moonroof. and the 5 camera surround system sold me on LR.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4