Need advice on possible front bumper hitch mount...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vinnysca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 LR3 HSE and I wanted to add a front hitch mount so that I can possibly attach a versahaul motorcycle carrier (max load 600lbs).

Has anyone done this mod? If so, should I worry about the extra weight on the front of the truck (planning to tow my airstream at the same time) and its effects on the air suspension?

Thanks guys.

Vinny

Last edited:

Kenjengrif

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might work, an ARB bumber with a winch on it must add a couple hundred pounds and I havent seen any complaints about how that impacts driving. Then again, with 600 pound on front, people inside, and the airstream on the back, you might be close to the overall weight limit. I tow a 19' Bambi with almost a 500 pound tongue weight, so I obsess about these things too much.

rutherfordred

Reaction score
It might work, an ARB bumber with a winch on it must add a couple hundred pounds and I havent seen any complaints about how that impacts driving. Then again, with 600 pound on front, people inside, and the airstream on the back, you might be close to the overall weight limit. I tow a 19' Bambi with almost a 500 pound tongue weight, so I obsess about these things too much.

I agree with you my friend has 2009 LR3 HSE he has added 530 pounds and he is not facing any problem.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can't be done to an LR3, the suspension is not strong enough and can't be built to help with that much weight and even more of a problem is the front diff, it will fail under the weight.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does the front diff carry the weight? Agreed though that it sounds like a bad idea.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you throw 600 pounds on the front bumper, what is going to carry the load between the frame and the ground, weight goes to the diffs and then to the tires.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you throw 600 pounds on the front bumper, what is going to carry the load between the frame and the ground, weight goes to the diffs and then to the tires.

I have to disagree on this. The front suspension will carry the weight however with independent suspension the diff will never carry the weight of anything. It is still getting the same power to it as well. To me it is questionable if the air suspension can handle that much additional weight up front. Max weight on the front axle is 3197 lbs

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mike, sometimes I respect the hell out of you, sometimes I don't know if you know what the heck you're saying. Suspensions usually (always) are what keeps the truck off the frame and the tires keep the frame off the ground. Arguably the diffs could be working harder to get the truck moving as the GVW increases, (as would the entire drivetrain) but nominally. But standing still the differentials wouldn't be able to tell if you sat an elephant on the hood.

Back to the OP, I have actually never seen a motorcycle carried up front like you're saying. Wouldn't it be easier, and better, and safer to put it on a hitch on the back of your trailer or is this not possible?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are not thinking, if you put your truck on a scale and you add 1000 pounds, does the truck gain weight, yes, 1000 pounds, and what carries that weight, the tires and they get it from the suspension that is carring the weight, transfer it to the diffs. wheel bearing and axles.
Much less the fact that you are sticking all that extra weight out in front of the axle so it actually puts more leverage from the weight to the vehicle to the ground.
I really don't care if a few of you don't believe me, and know I know less about LRE 's then any of the earlier Rovers, only because they are way less capable then our older Rover, are poorly designed for off road use and have an extremely high failure rate of both their diffs., front and rear, their t/cases and trannys.
But the geometry is the same for any vehicle, add extra weight, above and beyond what they can handle and things start to fail.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are not thinking, if you put your truck on a scale and you add 1000 pounds, does the truck gain weight, yes, 1000 pounds, and what carries that weight, the tires and they get it from the suspension that is carring the weight, transfer it to the diffs. wheel bearing and axles.
Much less the fact that you are sticking all that extra weight out in front of the axle so it actually puts more leverage from the weight to the vehicle to the ground.
I really don't care if a few of you don't believe me, and know I know less about LRE 's then any of the earlier Rovers, only because they are way less capable then our older Rover, are poorly designed for off road use and have an extremely high failure rate of both their diffs., front and rear, their t/cases and trannys.
But the geometry is the same for any vehicle, add extra weight, above and beyond what they can handle and things start to fail.

And yet again you are still wrong. I will not argue the rig capability point but if that is your opinion you are in the wrong place and your "tech support" is not welcome in my mind.

Back on subject, the diff absolutely does NOT carry any weight even in a solid axle setup. It is mearly the transmission of power from the driveshaft to the wheels. Same could be said about the "axle". On an LR3 with completely independant suspension the only thing carrying the weight is the A-Arms (and associated bits) and the struts. Yes the differential will work harder to move the extra weight but it could care less where that added weight is.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9