Need opinions/answers...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

Surferboy

Hello Everyone,
My name is Matt, and I joined this forum in hopes that some of you could answer some questions I was having. First, I have heard that Land Rovers are prone to problems. Is this true? I guess what I'm asking is, are they very fussy cars, do little things go wrong often, etc? I had a nitrous-fed integra, and now have a turbocharged eclipse, both of which required seemingly constant attention. I don't want that anymore. All I pretty much do now is surf, so I want something that can put my boards on top. I don't want to have to deal with maintenance downtime and its costs. Plus, I'm going to college in a year, and I have enough to worry about already.
Another thing, what are the differences in the Discovery and Discovery II models? Do high miles matter on a Rover, or do they run for a long time?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Matt

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
YeaYYYYY!! SurferBoy Matt ;)
Yes they are fussy, @ least mine is. You are in FLA so there are decent places that will work on them depending where you live @. LR West Dade comes to mind. If I were you get a D2 with a warranty and you will be good to go!! I put my Kayak on top of my Rover all the time. Fits rather well. Good Luck! Melissa N
1998 D1 ~ Could be sold this weekend

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Matt! Hello Melissa! Matt, RoverChic has a really bad biased opinion about the D1, understandably, w/all the problems that hers has given her. I wouldn't buy a D2, but that's just my D1 bias talking! Even w/a warranty the nearest Rover dealer to you when you break down will still cost you money, headaches, & more problems, as they will probably screw up two things for each one that they fix! I'm completely nuts about "my wife's" D1! Best 4x4xfar, or so they say. The D1 is a simpler vehicle than a D2, and I like simplicity. Yes, they will require some time and attention, but if you are at all able to do your own work, the results are very rewarding! If not, maybe you should consider something else. I have a couple other vehicles to drive when mine is waiting for parts, so any problems really don't bother me much. I have always made it home in "my wifes" Rover, though sometimes late. Never been towed! No other vehicle compares for comfort off road, and they are very capable trucks! Thank You, LRW.

Roughtx

Reaction score
Love Rovers. Can run forever if you take care of them. Have one with 175K with only common and minor problems.

D

discomike

Matt,
See what you started with your question. I have a 99D2 and would suggest another D2 for you, I have many friends with D1's and most of them are happy.
I believe although the D2's have more to go wrong they are a better truck, hell look at the number on complaints, most are D1's.
Either is a good truck, as long as you take care of it, and will do what you want it to.
Good luck,
Mike

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give those "newer" D2's another 5 years or so and we'll see more complaints about things breaking...

:biggrin:

Seriously, though, if you don't want to put a lot of work (or money) into a vehicle, get a Honda Element or CRV and load the board on the top.

S

Surferboy

do they all come 4x4....or are there only certain models?

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Matt ~ Yes they are AWD (all the time 4 wheel drive) which means mega gas guzzlers ..Looking at maybe anywhere between 11-15 mpg.
"""Either is a good truck, as long as you take care of it, and will do what you want it to.""" Quote from Disco Mike
I have taken EXCELLENT care of my truck ..And it still does things like a 'clunk' in reverse, ABS light comes on ( the new sensors ran 249.00 Each and the Rover requires 4) , Check Engine Light comes on, they will need brake pads every 24-28K miles depending on how you drive. I spent roughly 550.00 per month on gas alone..Granted I do a lot of driving. But one fill up gives you about 300 miles per the tank (if your lucky). You will need to run premium gas ...@ least 89..But I run 93 Octane.
I am a Law Student and I will admit it has been really HARD to maintain this car while in grad school. If I were you just make sure and get a warranty if you get a Rover. Good Luck! Melissa

markthecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my D2. Find a good mech who will give you sound tech advice and most importantly that you trust. I don't trust dealerships.

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes , these vehicles are PIGS!, but look at the positives....................................................................................................................................................................well, when a pig eats at the trough, you know that some day you will butcher him, and get lots of money for his choice parts. till then, you have the joy of seeing his powerful performance when pushing his way to the fuel, er, food. Then there's the times when he gets so full of mud from rolling about with his friends! ahhh the joys of owning a swine!, only the brave at heart would ever consider a courtship with one of these! Welcome to the FARM Surferboy!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM