Need Opinions on New Rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rich_98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I've got another question for those gifted Landy's out there!

My stock tires are on their last leg, and instead of replacing just the tires I want to get new "Sportier" rims as well, rather than keep the stock ones. Checking AtlanticBritish I'm really interested in the "Nato" style rims, which seem to be what all the other Modding LR' riders are doing. Perhaps you can answer a few questions.

(These are the rims I'm refrencing http://www.roverparts.com/ProductLi...rPage=1&ListType=DETAIL&PartNumber=ANR5593PMA )

Are these good rims for offroading? No warping or anything like that.

Will they fit my car stock? What about with larger tires? (Nothing outragious, just to fill up the wheel well with something meaty) I don't have a lift yet but I'm planning the 2'' OME lift kit as recommended by EE.

Anything else I should know about these rims? :) - Will they be good for a daily driver as well as something I can go offroading in?

And on a final note, there are these more expensive rims that are 7'' wide instead of 6.5; are they worth the big price increase?

http://www.roverparts.com/ProductLi...rPage=1&ListType=DETAIL&PartNumber=NTC5193PMA

Thanks a lot for your help! I'm just a lost teenager looking for the best bang for the buck! Any of you got jobs that pay the big $$$'s out there? heheh.

Thanks a lot for the comments!

Rich

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Rich. The wheels you found look great, but in my book they are way too expensive. What year model are they going on? You can probably find steel rims on e-bay, or at your local wheel and tire guy for a lot less....just take your time, and don't let anyone take too much of your money! The wider tires are O.K., but remember, narrower tires are better on rut-worn roads, and fuel economy might suffer a smidgeon....There are so many opinions.....get what YOU want, and can afford, but consider alternatives! Best of sucess!

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Richard, call me mr. Picky, but why? They are to use with tube to start with. You current tyres are tubeless. Catching me drift? :) Plus you will have to ship them from either NV or NY area.
And for 100$/wheel its awfully pricey.

I'd give a call britishpacific.com and trekoutfitters.com if i were in CA - they got shops right next to your door and they selling similar TUBELESS wheels for quite less.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Or call summit, you can get steel wheels cheap from them.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rattle-can paint job on your existing wheels = new wheels. :biggrin:

I once was a giant proponent of getting rid of the alloy wheels. That said, I agreewith the others, spend the extra bucks on something else. One of the nicer things about steel wheels is that you can hammer them back into shape if they get bent -- as opposed to alloys, which cannot be manipulated.

Instead of ~$300 or more (plus shipping), use the cash to get suspension or protection (or, hell, a new bumper) or something that will actually improve performance on a trail. You'll be much happier that you can get over an obstacle than that you have those "cool steel wheels."

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me like painting too. Andy is right.

I am gonna repaint mine in green, when i am gonna go nuts with paint cans next time :) Yellow truck with black stripes on green wheels.. yey :)

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Or powdercoat them for like $15 per wheel. The nice thing about alloys is they don't bend. They will crack but take a longer beating before they crack than a steel wheel will before it bends.

Alloys are also lighter which = Less breakage

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM