New AMK Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, as my LR3 turned 10 years old, it was time for a new compressor. The new AMK is BIGGER and badder and better than the out-going Hitachi. In preparation for this, I had purchased the re-location bracket from Tactical 4x4. While that bracket was not made to work with my RS Sliders, it certainly helped.

The install is complete, but not without a lot of effort, cooperation and teamwork from Bellevue (WA) Land Rover. These guys comprise the best team of Land Rover Service people I know; from the Manager to the Service Advisor to the Technician. We walked through the re-engineering of the bracket together (I'm an Engineer myself and I literally marked it up for them to attack with the plasma cutter and drill). They kept me in the loop the whole time and asked how I wanted to proceed at various junctures...and the tech even took pictures of what he'd done so he could show me after he was done (since the sliders would cover it all up). They also stuck to the price they'd originally quoted me even though they probably spent more time on it than anticipated.

At the end of the day, we made the AMK fit. It is ~20% louder than the Hitachi was and causes some vibration in the cab but I'm okay with that. In fact...I kind of like it. The main objectives of an install that is mechanically sound and did not involve any modifications to the sliders were met.

I can't say enough about how happy I am with the service I've received from LR Bellevue. They are top notch. It's how it should be done.

Cheers,
Houm

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on very cooperative LR technicians. Now... there has been a lot of talk about it , especially Jwest and You , lately, so it would be nice if one of you guys materializes it and posts pictures of reworked bracket, for a LR community , of course, otherwise this whole thing would become worthless without pictures..:argh::smile:Cheers.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the second nots, it would be even nicer , if TR put those alterations into the equation from the start.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, but TR made it work for their own sliders, so I'm not sure they'd have much motivation to change it any further. Seems like there isn't a lot more that can be done, either, as far as compressor placement. As for the slider; at this point the protrusion that allows for the compressor to sit there doesn't need to get lower, it needs to get a little larger.

...but in my case, I'll just live with it. It's not really that much louder. It vibrates considerably, but hey...that's as if I just got the leather massage-seats without having to buy a Range Rover A/B !!!

twoboarders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you'd be willing to share price, would you please DM it to me? Thanks Houm.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@twoboarders: Do you have RS Sliders? If you don't then it's kind of irrelevant.

I was out for a run today and I think I have a solution to the contact/noise.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@twoboarders: Do you have RS Sliders? If you don't then it's kind of irrelevant.

I was out for a run today and I think I have a solution to the contact/noise.

It's from actually touching metal to metal bracket or the 3 amk bumpers against the slider...? Mine was loud as hell with slider on. Removed for showing the guys it's freaking silent. Can't even tell it's on when I'm in the vehicle. But, mine was touching the slider I think in one spot but I also think it's because the bracket is against the frame, and the frame is crammed against the slider at that rear angled section. Thus all vibration is transferred and the slider acts like an amplifier.

Oh, by the way, I removed both sections of the acoustic box for space reasons but it also allows the amk to cool off as much as possible.

We need to get out somewhere....

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's from the bumpers touching the slider. Easy fix; check out my other post. I should've thought of it before. Oh well, the increased sound really doesn't bug me but I can fix at 120k. Glad "my crew" is taking care of you. Agree on the heat dissipation...and about needing to get out somewhere. Even if not off-roading, I know about seven guys off this forum that are Seattle area folks; we could grab beers and talk Rover $hit for a few hours.

schwaggy

Reaction score
Hey Houm - when you say the AMK is larger, does this mean it's not a direct install even if the truck is stock, i.e., no sliders?
I'm going to need a new one soon, and of course get the AMK - but I thought when it's purchased complete with the new case, it's a direct fit, even with LR accessories like side steps.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can be installed in place of the Hitachi, but it's larger. So, rock sliders are a PITA to make fit again. I don't think side steps would be an issue, based on the way they attached to the vehicle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM