New Brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickLR3HSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I was in the dealership yesterday getting 06 LR3 HSE's washer fluid bottle replaced and I had them check my brakes out, have around 38K miles and they have begun to squel when stoppping, figured it was time. They said my rotors look good and dont need to be replaced. Now they quoted my $765 just to replace the pads and sensors on all four corners. That seems pretty high to me? This gives me a couple of questions:

Must we use the stock OEM pads (seem like they wear fast and produce lots of dust),
was looking at the Posi Quiet pads or EBC pads and I have used them in the past with good results, any comments?

Where do I buy the sensors?

What would be a resonable amount to pay for labor? Does the LR3 require any more technical know how on changing the brakes than any other suv or truck?

Thanks.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do some searches on this site and you'll find a ton of information on this issue. It's pretty common, pretty expensive to get the brakes fixed. With Rotors, Sensors and pads, you are going to be north of $1,200 at any dealership, maybe less at a small shop. I'm not sure what the pads only would be, but usually dealers will only replace the whole package for whatever reason.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nonsense. Brake job at an independent can be $200-300. Sensor only needed if tripped. Rotors only if out of round or out of spec, but then add cost. Pads your choice.

SEARCH there are a ton of threads and how to (nothing special for a foreign car shop).

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did my fronts with parts from thepartsbin.com. Rotors, pads and sensor for the front was less than 190 delivered. It is a very straight forward brake job if you can change a tire, you should be able to do this. Any independant mechanic should not charge you more than 1.5 hours labor though it will probably take them far less time. My 6 year old daughter and I did them in about 2 leisurely hours last night. Dealer had quoted me $600 for the fronts including rotors BTW.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last month, my break warning triggered. I took it to a dealer and they quoted me $1500 for all four rotors, pads and sensors. I did research here and purchased EBC pads, EBC rotors, and sensors from British Atlantic for $650. Took them to local shop and they charged me $200 for installation. No issues at all. They even commented "these are good parts. should last longer than OEMs. where did you get them?"

Last edited:

NickLR3HSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how does it brake now with the ebc parts? I don't need the rotors right now, but I was leaning towards the ebc pads.
Last month, my break warning triggered. I took it to a dealer and they quoted me $1500 for all four rotors, pads and sensors. I did research here and purchased EBC pads, EBC rotors, and sensors from British Atlantic for $650. Took them to local shop and they charged me $200 for installation. No issues at all. They even commented "these are good parts. should last longer than OEMs. where did you get them?"

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mechanic said EBC should be better but it feels the same as OEM to be honest with you. Maybe it will last longer.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are many different qualities of EBC pads, ReD, Green, Yellow and all the different levels of them.
If you go with the 6000 or 7000 series of Green Stuff, you will have better stopping power and they will last much longer especially if used with their slotted and dimpled rotors.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nonsense. Brake job at an independent can be $200-300. Sensor only needed if tripped. Rotors only if out of round or out of spec, but then add cost. Pads your choice.

SEARCH there are a ton of threads and how to (nothing special for a foreign car shop).

I agree its nonsense, but call any dealer and ask them for a package fix on brakes, rotors and sensors, and I bet that's the minimum price you get. It can be done for cheaper elsewhere, real cheap by yourself.

Last edited:

NickLR3HSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mechanic said EBC should be better but it feels the same as OEM to be honest with you. Maybe it will last longer.

i went ahead and ordered the ebc pads front and rear and two sensors (just to be on the safe side). Dealer told me the rotors were still good so no need to replace them at this time, maybe next go round. Ordered everything from atlantic british and bought 32 oz of castrol synthetic brake fluid, I figured it can't hurt to replace the brake fluid as well. Thanks for all the input.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9