New HVAC problem - erratic behavior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, my 2005 LR3 HSE has just started an intermittant problem regarding the HVAC climate control system. With it set on auto, it has now just started to act strange. It basically sometimes comes on and sometimes doesn't. It is as if it is stuck and just doesn't seem to be on when it most certainly should. Many times I can cycle between auto and off, and all of a sudden it will come to life. Once it starts it is fine and does the right things. . . Well, until it randomly seeme to just then shut off once again. This happens no matter on what setting ac or heat etc.

After searching, I didn't see any other posts on this problem. Has anybody else had this happen? Is the fix a new control unit? Yikes.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad interior temperature sensor. Probably a cheap fix....if you do it yourself :)

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds logical. You don't happen to know where I would find the interior temperature sensor do you?

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than the one on the dash, no I don't, but I think there is more than one.

DTH

Reaction score
Our 2005 LR3 has started to have this same problem, approx 52k miles. The Heat or A/C will NOT come on immediately, regardless of where the fan controls are. Sometimes, we will drive for 30 minutes and the fan will then kick in, other times, it will be 5 mins. Once the fan starts, the fan controls all work as they should. Curious if any others have a solution to this problem?

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My erratic HVAC front fan problem has been resolved. It was the blower motor and the relay under the hood. $5 for the relay and $119 for a new blower motor from LR. All good now. Very easy job to fix.

DTH

Reaction score
My HVAC issue was also resolved with a relay from LR ($6) - it is the 40 amp white strip relay next to the battery box. It runs the front fan. About a 5 minute repair and fan works as normal now. Side note - I took the old relay apart, and the contacts were pitted and white from the arcing that was occurring between the contacts.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm mine seems to wait to kick on until about 15 minutes into the drive although the rear is going strong. Might be worth the 6 bucks to rule it out.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hardly ever use the auto option...always seems to blow too hard (let the comments begin...lol)

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am just now starting to notice this with my truck. DTH, do you happen to have pics or a part number for the relay? Any pics on exactly where it is beside the battery box? Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112