New key without any keys to copy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redman333

Reaction score
I lost my only key, is there any way to get a new key for a 2000 disco. I don't k ow if it has to be programmed or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if you can get a key made or not. Do you have the original owners manual and a copy of the key code? If not you may need a new ignition switch and yes it will need to be programmed.

redman333

Reaction score
Ok so for anyone else who may have this issue. I called the local Land Rover dealer and was able to get a key code by email from them. Sent them proof of ownership by using my insurance paperwork with my name and vin number and a copy of my drivers license. They emailed me a 4 digit key code. Took that to the only place in town other then maybe the dealer themselves that can cut the key using the code. They charged me $15 for the key. It is not a chipped key. This key with unlock the drivers side door and start the car just fine. This doesn't include the remote however. I may or may not do this. The remote is the more expensive part. I found remotes on eBay for about $130, new uncut. I also found another secondary local shop that can program the remote for me for $45. Then another $15 to have it cut at the same place as my last key.

So non remote lock key $15

Remote key $190

This is for my local area and me calling around to find all this stuff out. Just to give you an idea of the difference you may get from calling your dealer. I called a dealer in California because mine were closed already(I'm in North Carolina). They said it would be $225 for the key. Another $85 to cut it. Another $120 to program and I have to tow my rover to the shop for them to program it.
That's a total of $430 and that wouldn't include the cost to tow my vehicle there which here is usually a flat rate of $150 for local stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72